Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 02-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #51
leggy
Sub Adult

My dogs have been tout only to eat if i tell them and leave when told I tout them also to leave the food if a child puts hand in bowle. This was done as puppys. My dogs are all big breeds and are all soft as hell with my boys. I love them to bits but thay are dogs and need to be traind.

leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #52
nessie
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to nessie

the rottie in question was one that had been brought in as a stray through the dog wardens he had been in the kennels a couple of weeks with no problem at all and it was just on a day when i was helping out and i went to put his food in his kennel he dove in to his dish and pushed it out of the kennel so i opened the kennel gate to give it him back when he thought i was takin it away from him hence the bite just 1 chomp then back to his dinner he had been fine all the other days i had seen him a big softie really just not round his dinner my own dogs have no food aggression all four of them have there breakfast side by side and never had any trouble taking things off them .

just thought i would add a pic of 2 beautiful boys that i hand reared a few years ago dumped before there eyes had even opened they grew in to very handsom and much loved family pets
wish i could off got my hands onto the low life that dumped them and maybe leave them outside on there own cold and hungry

MUM TO 3 DOGS 3 CATS 3 MARGINATED 1 PARROT 4 FISH AND 2 LOVELY BOYS ONE 4 AND ONE BORN 5.9.08
nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #53
dizzywend
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to dizzywend

I was walking my King Charles in the park one day on a lead, and a Jack Russel came over and bit him. I had to kick it to make it let go!
Then a year later I walked him round the lake, I was putting him back in the car and 2 Yorkies..yes yorkies, jumped in the car and started on him!
When I was pregnant with my son, the roads were really icy, I was driving home and a labrador ran out in front of me, I slammed my brakes on and slowed down, but skidded and caught his hind. I got out to check it was okay and also for a collar and it bit me!

This just proves it is not the breed of dog!

wendy
dizzywend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 PM   #54
DAISY
Adult

Think I'd bite you if you just hit me with your car.

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #55
dizzywend
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to dizzywend

And i would sue you if you ran out in front of my car

wendy
dizzywend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #56
DAISY
Adult

Killin myself laughin

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #57
tamsintd
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to tamsintd

my eldest was nipped by my dad's OH's very happy, friendly border terrier when she was 10 months. the dog was laying on the floor at my grandparents house, my daughter walked by her, and she jumped up and caught her literally milimeters from her eye. As we've heard before, becks (the dog) had been brought up with children of all ages, she was very well trained, and she still attacked. OH had an alsatian/colly cross from a pup, brian. he grew up with OH's eldest neice, he was also well trained and protected the neice as if he were her mother. i was in the house when our youngest neice (a crawling baby at the time) came into the room, brian flew across the room snarling, going for the baby. i don't think it matters how well trained an animal is, they are all just that...animals. i believe that both dogs thought their space was being invaded and they felt the need to defend it. Brian was fine with the first child, but went for the second...and Becks had 4/5 children who she grew up with...ANY animal can turn. (my daughter obviously still remembers something of this incident, she is petrified of any dog, big or small and she is 5 now) i feel there should be something that says any owner or walker should be able to physically restrain a dog, if for some reason it were to attack or run, after all what use is a lead if you're being dragged down the road by your dog? kids shouldn't walk dogs either, i saw my neigbours 7yr old being pulled down the path by a jack russell...the same neighbour fosters dogs and recently she had one, i'm unsure of the breed, which grew up with other cats and dogs, but for some reason last wk it decided to rip the head off one of her cats, and crush the skull of another. she also has children, so this dog was locked in a room over night and was gone the next morning. i don't think that dogs and children mix at all, i would love a couple of dogs, but i would always have doubts in the back of my mind..and it's better to be safe than sorry.... (my cat doesn't even stay in the house, he is an animal with sharp claws. until my children are old enough to recognise when he is likely to strike, it will stay this way.)
Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #58
helen1
Sub Adult

I think I agree with you. I have always trained my dogs well, but we never know what they are thinking and it only takes a second and the damage is done. My last dog had the food removed training and was a model dog, one day a child she didnt know passed her as she was eating and she went for the childs leg, fortunately I was within grabbing distance. Accidents happen. She died at 16 but I never trusted her again with children.