Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 08-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
tortoise_dude

Default Peta

Just thought i'd like to share this with you all:
www.peta2.com

and also www.meat.org

Its all about vegetarianism and stopping cruelty to animals, warning- once that Meat video was shown to me i turned veggie- its horrible..

Josh
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Thats like my name, but with an a instead of an er.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
Blaze
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Blaze

I'm sorry, but i don't support terriosts.

I support your decision to become a veggie as i'm sure many people do. But don't allow yourself to be lead by propaganda. Alot of this footage is not of general practice but actual cases of animal cruelty. Shock tactics and nothing more.

Also alot of the things they do to the animals are acutally for the protection of the animals. For example the bit about cutting off a chickens beak, 1. is for the protection of the other chickens, and 2. is not as inhuman is it makes out. The heat of the wire actually damages the nerves to the extent that it is far less painful than for it to be cut off any other way.

It's not nice, but is necessary.

And just to point out that this was not filmed in the UK, We have a MUCH higher standard of farming produce than in other parts of the world.

I was never anti PEtA until I looked into alot. I used to admire what they did and I do believe that everyone has a choice. How ever knowing alot about PEtA my views or admoration changed to disgust.

In 2005 almost 2/3 of all animals 'resuced' by PEtA were destoried.
Of 2103 were resuced.
1325 dogs and cats were euthensied at PEtAs head quartes

Also, PEtA spent $9370 on a walk in freezer. The only purpose for a walk in freezer is for storing MEAT or Corpses.

PEtA is actually also trying to ban, Circuses ( fair enough ) Fishing, Zoos, Dog shows, Animals as pets, Horseback riding and even service animals like Guide Dogs for the blind!

I also find the "holocaust on your plate" campain Truely offensive.
"The graphic campaign and exhibit "Holocaust on Your Plate," devised by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, juxtaposes 60-square-foot panels displaying gruesome scenes from Nazi death camps side by side with disturbing photographs from factory farms and slaughterhouses. One shows a starving man in a concentration camp next to a starving cow. "
Quoted from CNN as i do not want to link anyone to the site as i feel no one should have to endure viewing such graphic and horrible reminders of a horrible and shocking past.

To compare a slaughter house to the holocaust is abhorrent. For the families of those effected by the holocaust it is truely insensitive.

Cruel, Inhumane, and abusive treatment of animals should be opposed, but cannot and must not be compared to the Holocaust.

PEtA Funds the ALF - Animal Liberation Front. Who had admitted to bombing medical reasearch centres in order to "free the animals" who happened to dei in the fire, and destory the reasearch achived.

$45200 was donated to Rodney Adam Coronado, by PEtA. Rodney has committed and admited to over 6 arsons, in which both people and animals were killed in the quest for liberation. Later the same year They donated over $25000 to him again. PEtA offical spokes man in american schools is a convicted criminal who compares himself to the likes of Martin Luthar King and Jesus.

PEtA Strongly apposes medical research. With out medical research so many lives would have been lost. Continuing testing is opening up more and better treatments and cures for illnesses today. I feel there's no argument as to wether medical research on animals is good or not. Biomedical research today is opening up so many doors. Millions of people are dying from potentionally curable illnesses, if the cures can be found, they will be found via biomedical research,

Millions of people are alive today who wouldn't be because of animal research.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

I don,t know where you get your facts from but that DOES happen in this country I wrote about this in another post I worked for a while on a battery egg farm and the conditions were exactly like those in the film, the handlers got just as much pleasure out of causing suffering as those in the film the mortality rate, dead birds in cages, broken limbs when being delivered, the stench lack of light, all THE SAME, my hubby was a lariage man (looks after the animals) in a slaughter house and the SAME things went on there, neither of us stayed there long, he used to come home and tell me the appalling things that had happened I used to come home in tears, as far as I know all male calves born to milking cows are killed at birth, a birds beak is very sensitive it may prevent pecking but it will never eat properly again, you go and visit an old fashioned battery farm or a slaughter house those facts are TRUE and it does happen in this country all the time everywhere we just don,t want to know. PETA may be very severe in the way they go about things but untill the government sits up and does something about it thier way is sometimes the only way to get things done, you get hung up by a leg castrated without any pain relief have your head bashed against a wall, your legs broken see how you like it.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Cheffi

Well written Zoe, if there's one thing I cannot stand it is extremists using propaganda like this. You cannot tar everyone with the same brush. There are and always will be the exceptions to the rule but I don't like the way PEtA go about things.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Lyn
Adult

I am in an awkward situation because I HATE vivisection but I am epileptic and I KNOW the medication I take has been tested on animals I had to change the way I think about things. I however still think a lot of needless experimants are done etc...
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

HAS BEEN tested there is no need for STILL BEING tested, we wear cosmetics test them on us, why keep repeating the same tests on chemicals when we already know what they do, we know what harm substances do to eyes why keep doing it, why so many times, what gives us the right to test on animals in the first place if they had voices it would never be done, if they begged you to stop because it hurts would you still do it, they are living creatures the same as us that feel pain and suffering just like us but unlike us have no choice, we do and we choose to do it does that make us better or worse than them.surely with all the other methods available testing is outdated and should be phased out on all but the most essential and once those tests have been done there is no need to keep repeating them. I,m sure that you are aware that HRT comes from mares urine it can only be used when the mare is in foal, the foals aren,t needed so are killed at birth just so that we can have fewer hot flushes do you consider that humane imagine the outcry if we used mothers in the same way keeping them pregnant and hitting the babies over the head, these animals aren,t put to sleep by a vet with a kind hand to sooth they are wacked with a hammer or similar because its cheaper and just as effective the same as milking cow calves we choose to ignore the things that happen because we want cheap food in the shops it happens behind closed doors so it doesn,t matter after all they are only animals.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

may I also add that during the war we knew what was happening in germany in the camps for a long time before anyone did anything about it or even admitted it was happening again behind closed doors.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
niamherrity
Adult

I do not condone what is done to animals nor do I think there is any reason for testing cosmetics on any animal as it is not life and death for people if they don't have make up on I for one do not buy any cosmetic that are tested on animals BUT im a nurse and I know you feel very strongly about all animals madmax but I hope someone in your family or yourself never gets sick because all medicines have been tested on animals it is a fact and im hope in the future something better will be made available but I watch enough people die everyday and it is a pleasure when I see someone walk out of a hospital better because of a new drug. Remember a lot of human drugs have been made and adapted for sick animals without them our beloved pets would die slowly and in great pain.

I have 5 animals of my own so I do feel like you in some ways but lots of humans have died in testing too
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
Cheffi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax
I,m sure that you are aware that HRT comes from mares urine it can only be used when the mare is in foal, the foals aren,t needed so are killed at birth just so that we can have fewer hot flushes do you consider that humane imagine the outcry if we used mothers in the same way keeping them pregnant and hitting the babies over the head, these animals aren,t put to sleep by a vet with a kind hand to sooth they are wacked with a hammer or similar because its cheaper.
Madmax please get your facts straight before you post such blase statements.
Some are made from the urine of pregnant horses. These are called conjugated oestrogens. They're the oldest type of oestrogen used in HRT.
Some are made from plants. These are called esterified oestrogens.
Some are made in a laboratory. These are called synthetic oestrogens.

If you have never had to suffer hot flushes then you have no right to comment. HRT is not only prescribed for hot flushes it is also used for women that have had early hysterectomies. If you have suffered them but not to the extent some people do where it makes their lives debilitating and untenable then you have no right to make light of the fact. As for using human pregnant mothers as an example is plain ridiculous.