Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 19-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Lyn
Adult

Default Very puzzled

Well I have posted before about George, my 3 legged cat who has not long been diagnosed with diabetes.
Well we have now tried 3 insulins. Bovine, human and pork. None of these have worked even on a very high dose and yet George seems really well. He does not have any of the diseases associated with insulin intolerance. Vet has been in touch with experts in Australia and is stumped and has said himself he is very worried. Nothing works
He is on the bovine insulin at the moment and the dosage has gone up yet again. He had 5 blood tests yesterday and the lowest his level went was 24.9 and when he had his last test at 4pm it was at 29.9 and rising
I love him so much. I just feel powerless to do anything. HAs anyone ever heard of anything or had any experience of something similar?
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Nickynoodles
Hatched

Oh - poor old George - i have never heard of this?? - does it do the same to felines as the disease in humans?? ie: poor circulation to feet hands etc??

1.0.0 Testudo Hermanni
Nickynoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Cpx

Hi lyn, i don't have much to say on this topic...but i read it and thought id reply...and say

Good luck with your kittie
Old 19-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
2me2u
Incubating

sorry i dont know much about this but i hope your cat gets better
Old 19-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Lyn
Adult

Yes when he first was diagnosed he was really cold and lost a lot of weight and although the insulin hasn't worked as such, he seems a lot better in that way. His levels are just so high all the time He sleeps a lot but then he slept a lot before
Old 19-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Lyn
Adult

He was unwell the other week so rushed him to the emergency vets and it was cystitus but he seems over that now We had gone visiting relatives that day and I am so glad we took him with us because when we got him to the vets they said he was in a lot of pain.
He is such a loving boy, settles anywhere and cuddles everyone
Old 19-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
aprillinda

hi lyn sorry to hear your cat is not responding to the insulins

the bovine made me ill

the pork was very good

but the gp changed most of us to human that works quite well

i have a friend for whom non of the insulins help

have you needed to change his diet
Old 19-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
Lyn
Adult

Yes he is on a presciption diet called Hills MD. It is basically liver. High in protein. He also has biscuits which are low in carbohydrate. Not sure if this helps or not. I am in contact with some people on a cat forum and some have been told to change their diet and some haven't.
Old 20-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #9
eve_laura
Egg

I am studying to be a vet nurse at the moment and I have an assignment on diabetes in dogs (sorry might be totally different for a cat but thought I would post anyway) and they have to have diets high in dietry fibre and complex carbohydrates.

Hope you manage to get your cat stabilised. I use to have a 3-legged cat and she was great, such a personality.
eve_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Lyn
Adult

Yes out of the 3 of my cats George has the best personality. He is more like a human. I actually saw his photo on the internet when he had just lost his leg and it said that no one wanted him because they thought he looked weird so I phoned up and so did my husband without me knowing and he came home with me on mothers day 2 years ago Have fostered (and kept ) another cat from the same rescue centre
Vet is just a bit amazed as to how well he is but worried that nothing is working
Someone pointed me in the direction of an American site yesterday and apparently they get a lot of vets on so might get some feedback there