Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 31-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #21
kreacher
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelmarie View Post
putting the locust in the fridge worked fantastic. It seemed to just slow them down enough for me to grab them by the back legs and throw them into there doom.

Thanks for all the advice guys.x
Oh I'm so glad that worked for you

If you ever get one that has escaped that you can't catch, if you get a spray bottle with water and ice cubes in so the water is ice cold, spray them a few times and they will freeze where they are and then chuck them in a viv and they'll go jumping off seems to stun them!!
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #22
shelmarie
Hatchling

ok i'm off with the questions again lol:-

*how much live food do i feed him
*how often should i handle him, i don't want to agitate him as he's settling in
*when i'm handling him he used to just sit there and go to sleep, he's now become quite active and likes to crawl all over me, which is fine, the thing is i've noticed he now sometimes sits with his mouth slightly open, i'm hoping this doesn't mean he's about to pounce as it's making me slightly uneasy.lol
*should water be left in his viv as i've read conflicting things about this

Thanks in advance
Old 31-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #23
kreacher
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelmarie View Post
ok i'm off with the questions again lol:-

*how much live food do i feed him
*how often should i handle him, i don't want to agitate him as he's settling in
*when i'm handling him he used to just sit there and go to sleep, he's now become quite active and likes to crawl all over me, which is fine, the thing is i've noticed he now sometimes sits with his mouth slightly open, i'm hoping this doesn't mean he's about to pounce as it's making me slightly uneasy.lol
*should water be left in his viv as i've read conflicting things about this

Thanks in advance
I feed mine live food ever other day about six or seven cockroaches. I usually feed him until he stops chasing them, then I know he is full sometimes he doesn't seem to want them so I don't bother. I put just a small bowl full of greens in everyday but he doesn't always eat it all.

With handling, I'd get him out at least one a day even if it is just for a minute sat on you, he will get used to you quickly then. They are very easy going animals and even nasty neglected ones I've looked after calm very quickly so I wouldn't worry too much about stressing him. If he really doesn't want to be picked up he will hiss and puff his beard but this is very rare with dragons. As for having his mouth open, he is just regulating his body temperature, if you are a warm person then he is probably soaking in the heat from you and getting a bit hot. He will then either move off to find a cooled spot or open his mouth to cool so don't worry about that he is pretty unlikely to bite you, although I've had some nasty bites in the past off dragons they do not bite often and the ones I had were not tame at all.

Don't worry about asking questions, in my work I see so many people who don't ask and then we get very sick animals so it is good to see people asking
Old 31-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #24
kreacher
Sub Adult

Oh and forgot about water. I leave a bowl in with mine all the time. He rarely drinks from it but he has been known so I keep it in there in case he does want it. He regularly gets bathed so I know he is well hydrated but it doesn't harm to have water available all the time
Old 01-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
shelmarie
Hatchling

Question

it's me again

When i've gone to get Zeus out for his bath today i've noticed what looks like sicked up locust in his food bowl. I'm pretty sure thats what it was as it looked like hind legs in there.

Any idea why he would do this, i don't know whether i fed him too much live foo'd yesterday and he couldn't digest it or if it's anything i seriously need to worry about

Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #26
kreacher
Sub Adult

To be honest I've only ever seen this with dragons that eat too many meal Wien all at once. I've had one that just couldn't digest the hard outer shell of a mealworm. Has he had locusts before or has he been fed on something else? Just give him a few and keep an eye on him and see how he gets on with them.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #27
shelmarie
Hatchling

panic over, i assumed he had puked up his food as it was in his food bowl, i think it was actually poop, i may have over re-acted.lol
Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #28
kreacher
Sub Adult

Haha that's quite funny hehe!!

If he was poorly he would stop eating so I'm sure he's absolutely fine
Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #29
pagan queen
Adult

ooooo, I'm getting some dragons soon too. I may need to ask lots of questions. My first one is, what is a good price for them? Silly question maybe but I've seen them go for between £10-£100 for babies. I don't want to buy cheap ones and find out they are not well or have some genetic problem but I don't want to get some super classy top notch type that costs a fortune.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #30
Torterra
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
ooooo, I'm getting some dragons soon too. I may need to ask lots of questions. My first one is, what is a good price for them? Silly question maybe but I've seen them go for between £10-£100 for babies. I don't want to buy cheap ones and find out they are not well or have some genetic problem but I don't want to get some super classy top notch type that costs a fortune.
Fantastic news, and good use for your 4ft tank. Beardies are great, but I cant keep adding more animals to my collection.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote