Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 17-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash
Default Fish and Pigs

Well on such a lovely day I had all the animals out and started cleaning out the pond. While cleaning the pond I bagged a few of my homebred goldfish up who have gone off to a new home this afternoon. This guy fell out of the net onto the side of the pond so I grabbed the opertunity to get a good photo. I would normally never handle them like this.

And a few of the fish bagged up (not good pics)

Then I took a few of my pigs. Badger, Bert and Solo. I lost a few of the females in the bad weather, one of them being Solos mum Solo is now pregnant (mums idea ) With babie due in 2-4 weeks.
Solo (left) and Bert (right)

Bert, Solo and Badger (Solos dad and my first pig )

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
leggy
Sub Adult

Lovely looking fish. I would love a big pond but will have to wait till boys are bigger i dont wont them swimming in it
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
aprillinda

great pictures the pigs look happy to be in the fresh air
Old 17-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Dazza
Adult

Nice one pete, that fish in your hand looks pregnant, but is it not a bit early for that ??

I had some Koi breed about 4 years ago, i need to get rid of a few but cant catch them, and theres no way i am emptying my pond just to get to them, just have to wait, one day i will get'em

Dazza
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Graham
Hatched

Nice coloured fish, we have about 2 dozen all bred from a pair that we lost to the herons 2 years ago, the range of sizes and colours is amazing, seeing as they're all from the same spawning and have lived in the same pond together eating the same food.

Just added 3 silver-grey Koi to the pond last week, never had Koi before.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Dazza
Adult

Graham,

Say good bye to anything nice in your pond - lol Koi are wonderful fish but my god they when they get to a certian size everything just gets destroyed, and the water becomes harder and harder to keep clear !!

Dazza
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Graham
Hatched

I did wonder about that Dazza! If they get out of hand though I'll just make a new pond specially for them, can never have too many ponds!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
Henry-flash
Adult

Yes I did wonder if she was pregnant myself when I had her. She will be from the first spawning which was 2002 so shes about 5. They have spawned every year since and I like to get rid of a few now and then. My really big original female is clearly pregnant and yes I would say a little early, but then we have had good weather. My koi spawned first time last year. From my reckoning only 2 of the babies have survived the winter.

Old 17-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
niamherrity
Adult

The guinea pigs are lovely pete were trying to decide between a chinchilla and a guinea pig at the minute. As the kids would love something they can brush and handle as henny and the fish are off bounds to them. It would be nice for them to have something to look after
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Henry-flash
Adult

Thanks Kelly
Niamh, go for guinea-pigs!! I have found they make excellent pets compared to other small animals I have had. Oh and they have the added bonus of talking to you on a regular basis