Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 21-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #11
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

if u look in anothe rpost of mine then u will see a leopard gecko of mine that i rescued that had uv lighting and it burnt out it's eyes.......but hopefully this has not happened and i doubt it will as the uv is most liekly not that strong.

now having no lighting with benifit them....it will not cause any problems now.....why not use kitchen towel.....reptile carpet and astro turf cause red rashes on there belly....i use towel on mine and i am a breeder of these lizards, and almost any breeder will agree that sand is wrong, can't see what alterntive u will use, bark,aspen,gravel,peat,perlite all of these will cause impactions.

wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #12
super_tort9000
Egg

haha that uv came straight out!! yeah i think ill go with kitchen towel, much easier to clean out too
1 last question, there is a heatmatt ducktaped too one of the sides, is that necessary or should i wait till i get something to check the temp to find out?
super_tort9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #13
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

leave it on at the mo.....it is better for them to be warmer than colder, generally a heatmat is the standard heating and then bulbs are used to increase the heat and the radius of it. most nowaday heat mats are infra red rather than pyshical heat, these warm the animal up without heating the air temp to much thats why alot of keepers now use laser thermometers as there better. keep the heat mat on.......if anyhting turn the bulbs off.
Old 21-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #14
super_tort9000
Egg

kk cheers for the info, just realised theres a thermometer or stat at the back that says about 92 but was 90 a minute ago so i turned the light off, whats the highest the temperature should be?
Old 21-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

it shud be no more than 90 right under the bulb if u use one but i don't let my temps go above 85 and no lover than 78. the bulb wattage is too hign in this case so just have the heatmat on and see what the temps are then.....i very much doubt u will need the lights for the heat...and if u do then get bulb that is no more that 25 watt
Old 21-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #16
super_tort9000
Egg

aah klkl thank you, i shall buy gecko stuff and re-make their viv lol and check back tomorrow
Old 21-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #17
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

ok no worries....if u got anymor equestions just ask...i have pm'd u a care guide that i wrote on leopard geckos.
Old 26-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #18
super_tort9000
Egg

thank you for that, it cleared up a few more questions.
can anyone with a leopard gecko please post pictures of their vivs so i have an idea on what to put where and how much stuff to put in?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #19
super_tort9000
Egg

Ok so ive finally re-done their viv, i love these guys theyr so cute n funny! tell me what you think?
http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc07068lr4.jpg
Seems better than the barren wasteland they had before yes?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #20
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

maybe adding a few more peices of log for them to climb and explore over....these lizards can have minim setups but i find they thrive much better in more cluttered up vivs with plenty of things to explore and climb over. also i wud in my view take them off that substrate. that is much worse than using sand. as already stated i am a great beleive in using kitchen towel with most lizards over sand and other substrates. but apartf rom that u do seem to have a good looking viv.