Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 20-06-2007, 11:56 PM   #31
westcountrygirl
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo666
A puppy that is not used to going for walks won't run away......this is an essential part of puppy training, I took this tip from Jan Fennel, the Dog Whisperer. I followed her book to the letter and have 2 of the most well behaved Jack Russell I have ever met. This lady knows dogs <g>. Puppies that stay on the lead gain much more confidence in their surroundings, owners invariably walk their dogs in the same area, hence the puppy get used to the routine and is much more likely to run off when eventually allowed off the leader. Of course, this theory depends wholly on whether this owner has taken this puppy to the same area a lot and is used to it. ALL of my dogs have been let of the leader on their very first walk, and have never moved from my ankles, even once. They are pretty scared at this whole new world and feel safe sticking next to you. Once they feel safe they will start to explore a little, call them back and give lots of praise, constantly re-inforce the bond between you, associating returning to you as very pleasureable with lots of praise.
Dog training is all about simulating 'pack leader', they are domesticated wolves and silently ineract with their human counterparts..........your behaviour dictates whether they see you as a strong leader, or a weak underling who can be easily dominated. Whatever the breed the dog will judge your 'strength' as a leader, the earlier you start, the better the results.
I'm sorry I just had to laugh at some of these comments that you have taken from this person. That is some of the most ludicrous suggestions I have ever heard. I'm glad it worked for your two Jack Russells.
westcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #32
Jo666
Incubating

Considering I've been training dogs like this with brilliant results, I find your post quite insulting actually. Won't try to offer anymore tips as I'm not really into public ridicule.

Good luck with your puppy
Jo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #33
Becks
Adult

PLEASE CAN WE KEEP THIS FRIENDLY
THANKYOU

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #34
shelley
Hatchling

I used to have a springer/collie cross . They are so easy to train because both the springer and the collie are so intelligent.

No way should a young pup be walked for 2 hours a day Kim, you will do it's bones serious damage. You have to start off with small walks and build up to the big ones once the dog is an adult. I think I was told a minutes walk for every week it is old, something like that! Or may be that only applies to the giant breeds. Any way if you walk your baby 10-15 mins a couple of times a day it will be fine if it is only 3 months old. Once it is over 7-8 months old you can start to do an hour or whatever as it should be full grown by then. Don't forget as well, not only does an intelligent pup need walks to exercise it's body, but it also has to exercise it's brain or it will get bored and start to chew up all kinds of things in the house.

I have to say, I have also been told that the best way to teach a pup to come back to you is to take it somewhere secure from the day you get it (or had all it's innoculations done) and let it off lead. That way, as they are unsure of their surroundings and not quite so confident they do stay close to you. It does work too, my daughters dog has been trained this way and never goes too far away from her, where ever they are. But everyone has different training ideas!

As for toilet training, I never bother with paper. When I have a new pup I spend all my time in a room with a door to the garden and the dog with me..... They are not allowed in any other room, or out of my site. As soon as they look like they are about to do something I whisk them outside, shut the door and wait for them to do it. Then I go overboard with telling them how good they are..... Never mind the neighbours!!! I have stood for hours in my garden in the rain in the past waiting for a certain pup to "go" as once outside she would change her mind!!!

Never smack, never shout, be patient and consistant and you will get there. With some dogs it will only take a week, but with others it will take a lot longer!!!

I definitly would suggest getting dog insurance as things do happen. Our Kitten needed an operation on his elbow, the cost of the original x-rays, op and the painkillers he was on for 4 months afterwards was over £1,000.... Thank goodness he was insured

Mum to three Newfoundlands, two Cocker Spaniels, one German Shepherd, 9 Chinchillas, and 4 Hermann's and 2 Leopards... Tortoises that is!

http://pic2.piczo.com/GalaxybearsNewfoundlands
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #35
niamherrity
Adult

Im going training at the minute with my dog,. I dont think its safe to allow a pup off the lead unless your in a gated area. The way my pup is being trained is on an extendible lead you allow the pup to go as far as the lead goes which is about 16f then let him get interested in something, then call him by name or come here. Always have something tasty like chicken or hotdogs little pieces only a taste introduce your kids to the game get them to call him to them, make sure they have something nice to give him it works. We do it with the four of us finn has a great time running over and back to us.

Even if finn is just in the garden I call him by saying (come here) he always comes flying as he now knows I have something nice. I do just make a fuss of him sometimes too
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #36
kim davies
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kim davies

thanks for all the advice guys.i was told by someone who had collies that he took his 10wk old for 3hr walks everyday!ive started taking him to the shop and back which is 5mins away.as for letting him off the lead,i did it once in an open field n he ran off! was shouting his name for ages.im sure he plays deaf!got a secure garden that he goes in.not bothering with paper.he just eats it going to see if there is any puppy classes by me.what age can they get neutered?another question whilst im here,how can i get him out of nipping the kids?x
Old 22-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #37
niamherrity
Adult

The recommened age for being neutered here is 6 months old but its a personal thing some people choose not to neuter, but I personally feel if their are female dogs around your area it's best to have a male dog neutered

Everytime he bites the kids take him away,and put him out of the room for a couple of mins it worked for finn
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote