Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 16-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
eminart
Incubating

Default Building a New Enclosure (viewing area?)

I'm planning to build a nice "furniture-grade" home for my bearded dragon. I've been looking around at various designs on the internet and it struck me that I could make it a two-tier design and transfer Poki, my egyptian tortoise into one level.

First of all, does anyone think it would be a problem housing the two species in close proximity? They'd be in seperate sections, obviously, but should I be concerned about any bacterial transmissions?

Secondly, if I did do it, have any of you found a way to use glass sides for a tortoise table? Of course I don't want Poki to be able to see out, but what if I had a wooden edge that was just above her sight line and the rest was glass so that I could see in? Opinions?

I'm just tossing around ideas.

Thirty years later, and I'm still keeping "creepy" things.
eminart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Mich_P
Egg

Why don't you build a vivarium for your beardies and then make a separate tortoise table whose base measurements are exactly the same as those of your vivarium.
You could then stack them together (so they would look like one) but you could seperate them for ease of cleaning or if you have to move them.

You might have to be careful about heat transfer from your beardies up into the tortoise table so you cold put a lyer of polystyrene between the two.
Mich_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Scott,
Unfortunately it is possible to transfer bacteria from the Bearded Dragon to the Egyptian. As Poki grows also your going to want him/her closer and closer to the floor, until the table is eventually on or very near the floor. This keeps the base table temperatures cooler as thats what the Egyptians like.
I personally would keep them on seperate sides of the room and build 2 seperate enclosures. I think a Bearded Dragon enclosure would lend itself better to be made to look like high quality furniture. The table would be harder to do that way, but you could always add moulding and stain the outside of the table. That actually would look nice sitting on a moulding base with the same moulding around the top edge, would make it very formal looking.

Danny