Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 21-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Coco soil

I was in Poundworld and happened to notice little blocks of what was called Coco Soil. When soaked, it expands to produce 10 litres. It's the same stuff as Coco Coir and what IKEA used to sell under the name of Kokosnot. I know some people use it instead of topsoil and I have used it myself in the past from IKEA (don't think they sell it now).
I expect it will be a pound each but I never saw a price ticket. They are pretty small blocks, maybe about 6 inches square x an inch thick
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quite a few tortoise keepers use this product Alan. I don't like it because it's full of strings. I would see strings hanging out the tortoise's cloaca or sticking out his mouth. I know they're biodegradable, I just didn't like them hanging out of my tortoise. . . that, and the fact that it's real messy. I prefer to use either clean fir bark that's put up for orchids, or cypress mulch. I'm interested in learning what you more experienced tortoise-keepers use.
Old 22-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
Quite a few tortoise keepers use this product Alan. I don't like it because it's full of strings. I would see strings hanging out the tortoise's cloaca or sticking out his mouth. I know they're biodegradable, I just didn't like them hanging out of my tortoise. . . that, and the fact that it's real messy. I prefer to use either clean fir bark that's put up for orchids, or cypress mulch. I'm interested in learning what you more experienced tortoise-keepers use.
My tortoises and boxies live on garden soil:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

My Horsfield girls love the shingle, like beach shingle - it's easily drainable and they will burrow all the way down until you can't see them. I did use soil and a sand mixed with soil many years ago but it got so damp and horrid , grew fungus on it also. Shingle is so easy to replace too and the sun warms it up.
My little ones indoors have coco coir. I admit I don't like the long hairy bits but I pick them all out and use them for growing seeds. it does get very dusty too. luckily they are only on it for a few months if they over winter.
At this time of year my spurs are up and under cover and I use newspaper for the underneath shredded ontop so they can burrow down if want to. All their nighttime lamps are on tonight and they are all at the end of their tables in the cold end so I will be turning them off soon, CB
Old 22-03-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
My Horsfield girls love the shingle, like beach shingle - it's easily drainable and they will burrow all the way down until you can't see them. I did use soil and a sand mixed with soil many years ago but it got so damp and horrid , grew fungus on it also. Shingle is so easy to replace too and the sun warms it up.
My little ones indoors have coco coir. I admit I don't like the long hairy bits but I pick them all out and use them for growing seeds. it does get very dusty too. luckily they are only on it for a few months if they over winter.
At this time of year my spurs are up and under cover and I use newspaper for the underneath shredded ontop so they can burrow down if want to. All their nighttime lamps are on tonight and they are all at the end of their tables in the cold end so I will be turning them off soon, CB
Do you find your spurs eat the newspaper, Clare?
When we moved house I had the torts on newspaper in their tables for about 2 weeks whilst their indoor tort room was being created and their outdoor enclosures too. It wasn’t ideal but it was the best I could manage for a short term fix. They had a field day with the paper, ripping it, burying themselves under it, eating it...
We had newspaper pellets for poo for weeks!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

I have used the pound shop coir Alan, with no problem. I like it because you make it up in its own bag! The top if folded over but unfold, snip the top add water & that's it ready to use, no buckets or mess.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
I have used the pound shop coir Alan, with no problem. I like it because you make it up in its own bag! The top if folded over but unfold, snip the top add water & that's it ready to use, no buckets or mess.
Handy size and very light to carry. I don't actually need it but used IKEA stuff in the past. It's just chopped up coconut shells I think
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

emma its either Paper or hairy coconut shell hair poking out ! Yes they love the paper shredded up so they can hide in it. They rustle away. Of course too long on paper can cause health issues as not ideal substrate which is why they aren't too long on paper ! though I would say I find it actually hygienic. Surprising how quiet some of them are all night in it too. I have just bought mine in from 10 degrees outside and they are all like little radiators. I wonder if thats what sustains them over night too, CB