Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 19-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Gentle Jesus
Egg

Default Malayan Box Turtle help...

Hello

Well I was given a Malayan Box turtle the other week and I have no clue on houe to house it and what to feed it and all other things relating to it. lol

Could do with some help ...

Regards

Gentle Jesus
Gentle Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
kreacher
Sub Adult

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Camboinensiscare.htm

This should be of some help...Good luck
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Or take a look here http://www.terrapintank.co.uk/asianbox1.php
Old 19-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Kirkie
Adult

Lucky you! I used to keep Cuora years ago. They are far more aquatic than the American Box turtles. The caresheets linked are great guides. Good luck.

How old/large is the turtle?

Last edited by Kirkie; 19-05-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Geomyda
Adult

Hopefully, the care sheet that Bindi has given the link to will help?
As I wrote it, I am biased but it is based on very many years practical experience with this species.
Have you got pics of your animal, as I can probably identify the sex and sub species that you have?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Gentle Jesus
Egg

Hello

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate them all and they are great help.

I will take some pics soon, but it doesnt seem to eat i have been trying to feed it dried shrimp them them small flat ones u get from a store lol ... but its not eating and doesn't move much.

Is there a cheap way to house it as I'm on a tight budget atm,

I now I will need a tank of some sort a water heater and a basking light and UVB/A light of some kind but i have looked up the mercury vapour light they they seem to be good.

I know I have no experience with it and trying my best to get the equipment for it but its currently living in a small tub and I give it warm water, i know this is incorrect so i need to do something fast !!

Kind Regards

Gentle Jesus
Old 19-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Kirkie
Adult

I know you've said its a Malayan but the thing with Asian box turtles is that the care can differ significantly depending on the species. For example this is from Tess Cooks book on Box Turtles

C. Amboinensis (Malayan Box turtle) - Tropical,Semi aquatic, primarily herbivorous.
C Trifasciata ( Chinesethree striped box turtle - Temperate, semi aquatic, primarily carnivorous.
C Flavomarginata ( Chinese or yellow marginated box turtle) - subtropical to temperate,semi terrestrial, omnivore.

And thats just 3 species. Pictures would really help but you need to be providing a means to heat the water (to around 25-26 degrees, so a protected aquarium heater) and a land area to allow the animal to bask if it wants to. I think a combined heat/UVB is acceptable for box turtles.

Food wise, if you can get hold of some earthworms and provide some greens (aquatic plants would be good, bagged salad,veg and fruit (Strawberries, blackberries) at a push for now you can provide both ends of the food spectrum and may be able to get the turle to eat but it wont do this unless the environment is correct and warm enough.

Hopefully Geomyda can help out here, I'm very rusty with Box Turtles. If you give an idea of how big the turtle is it will help in coming up with a temporary housing solution too.

Last edited by Kirkie; 19-05-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Jesus View Post
Hello

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate them all and they are great help.

I will take some pics soon, but it doesnt seem to eat i have been trying to feed it dried shrimp them them small flat ones u get from a store lol ... but its not eating and doesn't move much.

Is there a cheap way to house it as I'm on a tight budget atm,

I now I will need a tank of some sort a water heater and a basking light and UVB/A light of some kind but i have looked up the mercury vapour light they they seem to be good.

I know I have no experience with it and trying my best to get the equipment for it but its currently living in a small tub and I give it warm water, i know this is incorrect so i need to do something fast !!

Kind Regards

Gentle Jesus
This most likely is Cuora amboinensis or its close cousin Cuora amboinensis karmaroma. As these were imported in some numbers a few years ago . Both of these are tropical species, which do require Tropical set up. That is to say water temperature, and ambient temperature with relative high humidity. Failure to meet these requirements will lead to health problems pretty quickly.
Once again, pic's will help to identify the correct species but I strongly advise attention to the husbandry set out in the Care sheet.
The link given by Bindi, will also access other caresheets, with photographs of other Cuora species,including The Chinese Box Turtle (Cuora flavomarginata), Flowerback Box Turtle (Cuora galbinifrons). If you do not recognise your species from pictures on this site, I have also got pictures of other, more unusual Cuora species. However, I doubt that these are common in any collection in the UK.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
Gentle Jesus
Egg

OK thanks guys I will get some pictures up tomoz asap !
Old 21-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
Gentle Jesus
Egg

Default Pics of my turtle

Right I was very busy yesterday so dint get chance to post pics of the turtle but here are some and need help still...

The quality isn't great but i fink it will do ?

the edge of its shell is different color cos i just got It outta some water ..

Kind Regards

Gentle Jesus

Last edited by Gentle Jesus; 21-05-2009 at 04:52 PM.