Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 20-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Wyrd
Egg

Default What species for me?

I have just built a pond frame, just need the liner now. I am looking for ideas of what species of turtle would be the most suited to the pond.

Its just under 3 foot deep (possibly 2 1/2 ft when filled) and is 5ft by 3 ft, it has a deeper section in the middle with a ledge one side.

What type, and how many turtles could I happily get away with in the pond?
Wyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Geomyda
Adult

A really good species, if you can get them are the European Pond Turtle (Emys orbicularis). These are being bred in small numbers by Hobbyists and once large enough to acclimatise in a UK pond will do very well, providing their needs are catered for.
Aside these, you could look at rehoming North American Sliders or again if you can get the American Painted Turtles.
Look at posts by Rom, to get ideas on suitable requirements for an outdoor life for some of these species.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Before you go and get the liner, is there any chance you could make the pond a little bigger and get down to 3ft deep, this is a little thinking ahead for when they are bigger and could hibernate outside in the pond.
What liner are you using? Dupont make a fabulous liner which is amazingly strong and also lightweight, plastic liners are difficult to handle and not very flexible, and butyl ones are very heavy.
Old 21-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Wyrd
Egg

Not sure what liner yet, we haven't decided.

I possibly could make it a bit deeper, if the species I choose would be ok to stay out over winter?

Will have a look at the European Pond Turtle, not heard/seen much about them
Old 21-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Geomyda
Adult

European Pond Turtle (Emys orbicularis)
Old 22-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Wyrd
Egg

Anyone have any experience with giant musk turtles?

They have a couple at my local aquatics place, TBH I am not actually sure if they are giants, or just adult common musks, or a completely different species! There heads look like Musks.

They are very cute.They also have some yellow belly sliders in, who are very frisky.
Old 23-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Tappers
Incubating

I've heard of a 'giant musk' that is Mexican - probably not the hardiest option for mainly outdoor life. You might find that all the bottom-walking musk or mud turtles are hard to see and even harder to interact with outdoors.

I would second the excellent suggestion of the Euros or perhaps caspian turtles (Mauremys). Sliders would probably be the easiest to get and you would be doing a good thing by giving a homeless turtle a sunny, outdoor life...
Tappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Anyone have any experience with giant musk turtles?

They have a couple at my local aquatics place, TBH I am not actually sure if they are giants, or just adult common musks, or a completely different species! There heads look like Musks.

They are very cute.They also have some yellow belly sliders in, who are very frisky.
Giant Musk Turtles (Staurotypus salvinii), and its cousin (Staurotypus triporcatus), are very rarely available in the UK pet trade. Neither species, are suitable for life in a European outdoor pond environment.
Old 24-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
Wyrd
Egg

I will have to go and get some pics of them to be identified!

I agree that sliders would be the easiest to get, and at least I know they can stay outside quite happily, although I will probably wuss out and bring them in, in the winter, or end up getting a shed/greenhouse for over the pond,lol.