Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 27-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Wyrd
Egg

Default Turtle types in pet shops?

What are the most common types of turtles available in pet shops?

I saw a few today in my local aquatics shop, they have dwarf musk turtles, yellow sliders and this other very cute one,it didn't say what it was though, but I am doing more research on turtles and would like to know, any one have any ideas what he could be?

He was fairly chunky, had a yellowish shell, anyone have any ideas? He was around 5/6 inches.
Wyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

Did it look like this?
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
What are the most common types of turtles available in pet shops?

I saw a few today in my local aquatics shop, they have dwarf musk turtles, yellow sliders and this other very cute one,it didn't say what it was though, but I am doing more research on turtles and would like to know, any one have any ideas what he could be?

He was fairly chunky, had a yellowish shell, anyone have any ideas? He was around 5/6 inches.
The common types seen in Pet shops, are probably the worst choice of Turtle for captivity in the home aquarium. They may well look so appealling as hatchling Turtles, but they grow into very large Turtles as adults. This is certainly the case with the Sliders, and Cooters.
Of the species you mention, the Musk Turtle (Sternotherus odaratum), is by far the best species to keep in the Home aquarium.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
linda.t
Hatched

you can get african helmeted side neck turtles from some shops.
linda.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
wolverine
Egg

I went to the pet store a few weeks ago to get some things for my sal****er tank and they had an adult red-eared slider in a ten gal tank,the tank was filled to the top with water and the turtle looked dead so I reached in to pick him up and he was foaming at the mouth and the water was ice cold so I payed the guy fifteen dollors,took him home,he died that night,I dont know how these pet stores get away with crap like that
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
kimmerz
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kimmerz Send a message via Yahoo to kimmerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
I went to the pet store a few weeks ago to get some things for my sal****er tank and they had an adult red-eared slider in a ten gal tank,the tank was filled to the top with water and the turtle looked dead so I reached in to pick him up and he was foaming at the mouth and the water was ice cold so I payed the guy fifteen dollors,took him home,he died that night,I dont know how these pet stores get away with crap like that
thats awful it makes me angry, when i was in florida last year in our last few hours before we went to the airport i went into a shop it was like a shop where you get like magnets and t-shirts but it also had a croc enclosure at the back where you could pay about $2 to feed it but it seemed a very small enclosure. at the front it had turtles for sale i don't know what type because it just said turtles and the stuff they offered you to buy for them to live in was theses tiny little plastic carry cases. anyway there was only one left, he looked ok, but when i went out side i seen on the wall there was one and i went to pick it up but as i got closer i noticed it was actually the remains of a dead one and then as i walked along the wall i noticed there was about 3 or 4 dead bodies of baby turtles, i got really upset and my mum, dad and boyfriend had to drag me away. i do wish i had bought that last one and released it but they were clearly just going to get more in. when I got home I got in contact with the daytona animal services, didn't hear anything back but when my dad went back there a couple of months later I asked him to go in the shop and he said he didn't see any turtles of crocs so hopefully thats one less cruel shop, I am going back in April and am going to go in there again to check again.

7 hermanns-Paris, Turbo, Pumba, Dave, Izzy, Miami and Zippy.
2 reds- Tommy and Elliot
kimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda.t View Post
you can get african helmeted side neck turtles from some shops.
As these, are from Tropical West Africa, care must be taken to give them correct conditions! However, if they are maintained at correct tempereture and are given clean filtered water, they do make a good captive Turtle.
Care guides for these Turtles are not yet readily available, but I recommend looking up Pelusious.com for information on theses enchanting LBJ's (Little Brown Job's)!
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Wyrd
Egg

Having had a google he looked a bit like an african helmeted side neck turtle.

He was such a little character, and had the cutest little face.

The musk turtles were also very sweet, and very small, they said they were dwarfs, how big do they usually grow as I couldn't find much info on the net about the dwarf type?
Wyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
Kirkie
Adult

I've never heard of a dwarf type. There are several sub species. They average around 10-12CM fully grown, Razor backed muck turtles about 15 CM's.

Heres some info.

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/sternotheruscare.htm

Last edited by Kirkie; 28-02-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Tappers
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post

Did it look like this?
Hey, nice Ouachita Kirkie, is it yours?
Tappers is offline   Reply With Quote