Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 21-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
Geomyda
Adult

As I suspected, Cuora amboinesis. Nice turtle once considered very common. Now largely because of the Chinese food markets, they are threatened, and very much more uncommon.
Look after it, and if possible associate with breeding groups in captivity?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Gentle Jesus
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
As I suspected, Cuora amboinesis. Nice turtle once considered very common. Now largely because of the Chinese food markets, they are threatened, and very much more uncommon.
Look after it, and if possible associate with breeding groups in captivity?
Hey

Thanks, does it look well ? and can you tell, fron the pictures, if its a male or female ?

Also is there a not as expensive way to provide housing for it atm as im tight on money, and it has not been eating.....

Regards

Gentle Jesus
Gentle Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
Geomyda
Adult

To sex it, I need to see a better picture of the tail area, taken ideally from beneath the plastron.
As a tropical species, there is obviously a cost in providing a suitable captive habitat. It really needs a semi aquatic set up, with high humidity, and an average air temp of 25-28 degrees centigrade. Water temperature, much the same. This is not a species for inexperienced hobbyists.
Follow the care sheet recommendations and it should feed regularly on a varied diet.
If it is kept too cold or dry, it will not thrive and I suspect health issues will quite quickly become a problem.
Old 21-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Gentle Jesus
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
To sex it, I need to see a better picture of the tail area, taken ideally from beneath the plastron.
As a tropical species, there is obviously a cost in providing a suitable captive habitat. It really needs a semi aquatic set up, with high humidity, and an average air temp of 25-28 degrees centigrade. Water temperature, much the same. This is not a species for inexperienced hobbyists.
Follow the care sheet recommendations and it should feed regularly on a varied diet.
If it is kept too cold or dry, it will not thrive and I suspect health issues will quite quickly become a problem.
OK thanks I will try my best in sorting somthing out as soon as possible !
Gentle Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It looks to be C.a.kamaroma, what do you think Paul?

Danny
Old 21-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
Geomyda
Adult

Ideed, with the obvious domed Carapace, it certainly could be this sub species of the Malayan Box Turtle. As these were collected in very large numbers and exported to the west.