Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 18-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
julie7
Incubating

Default Shed size

I've decided on getting a shed for Freddie for winter, thing is what size, I was thinking a 4ft - 6ft , Freddie is 7 inches in length would this be to small, I could get a 5ft - 7ft but that would be a bit more difficult as where it could go in garden
julie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Suze65
Adult

I think 4x6 would be fine, is this to over winter him or hibernate, either way you will need to fully insulate the shed, floor, sides and roof, install electrics for a tube heater and thermostat , and lights for over wintering.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
julie7
Incubating

Ok thanks, I've only had him a few weeks and he was kept just roaming the house and put in a vivarium over night but surely he don't get uv that way so a shed would be his home, he is a leopard so won't hibernate
Old 18-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

I'm not sure that would be big enough for an adult leopard but if you could add some sort of covered outside area such as a small gh or similar then the tort would have somewhere to go outside but still protected from the weather. Maybe something like a smaller polytunnel would would or even a large coldframe or perhaps something could be built like a covered run, a winter is a long time if you don't get any natural light or fresh air and if the tort has somewhere warm then you'd be surprised how it will come outside given the chance even if just a short while. A big tort will stay warm for a good hour or more before needing to warm up again even an open run would help.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
Gordon
Adult

To keep a leopard outside over winter will need a lot of insulation and heat the slightest draft will not be good for him also you will need a good stable night time temp.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
julie7
Incubating

Does it have to be an outside area or could I just bring him indoors to walk around for exercise?
Old 18-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

what benefit could it get from walking around the house? the negative things are no uv, no heat, picking up dust/fluff etc and to say nothing of hygene ie poo the size of dogs, wee on the floor/carpet or when big getting stuck under or damaging furniture. I once knew someone who had a adult Sully in her house and it had damaged just about everything from trying to push under/through and felt so cold because although the house was warm a tort needs a direct source to get warm, it was very lethargic probably because it was to cold and had all sorts of fluff/dust on its claws and around its mouth. Sorry but torts aren't meant to be kept on bare floors or carpets that's why they live outside and having suspended heat/uv bulbs around the house would be dangerous if nothing else and that applies to small torts not just big ones.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
julie7
Incubating

I didn't mean permanently I meant just so his not in a shed all the time, at least till I sort out a winter area, I will have heat and everything in the shed, I am worried though cause the people whe I got him from just gave him the run of there house
Old 18-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

The run of the house is not a good idea, he needs to be in a big table of viv if your keeping him indoors ( which I think would be better over winter) for all the reasons said above, hygiene , uv , basking , etc. as Gordon has said , you would have to really insulate the shed very well, and be able to keep constant temps in there all through the winter, I would Imagine this could be quite difficult .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Julie , the shed is superb idea for the winter time, 4 x6 with heat etc and the right microclimate - he is only 7 inches so that sounds like a good plan rather than indoors or his vivarium - which maybe could be part of the set up in the shed ? on the floor? . you may even need to restrict him to the warmer bits of the shed! We need more pickies of Freddie when able! he is very adorable. CB