Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 17-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Hi Neil, have pm'd you
Old 17-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #22
DAISY
Adult

Whenever I get any new animal I try to stick to exactly the care they have recieved from their breeder/previous owner, I feel this helps reduce any stress. Once they have settled I then adjust to the way that suits me and if what I was advised works I stay as close to this as possible.
I am keeping my table at the moment on the upper scale of the reccomended temps at the warm end and this is where they are choosing to spend the majority of their time. I am spraying twice a day, providing dry and humid hides of which they use both, feeding mainly greens, a small amount of protein and one day of fruit as Darren suggested.
I also found when I first got them I had to get them up. What I did was top their water bowl with a bit of warm water, pop them in it and have their food slate in view of the water bowl. I found once they had soaked they trundled straight to the food. I repeated this twice a day, but only offerd food once. Now they pop in and out at will, but do spend a great deal of time hiding.
I also found they seemed to eat better at first if my uv strip was off so I have tried to filter the uv near the feedig slate with plants and this seems to be working.
Only suggestions of course being a complete newbie to reds myself .

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #23
sarah
Administrator
Adult

If i were you i would pm Darren he will give you great advise, as im sure he gave you when you picked them up.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #24
piglet
Adult

Neil

As they are so young there appetite is small and they may feed infrequently, try offering small fruit items to stimulate a feeding response , try feeding in a shaded area of there enclosure this will help them feel secure and allow them time to find there feet and the food

D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #25
blazingtortoise
Egg

Hi

I'd try giving them some red leaves from a bagged salad. Over ripe fruit is better and easier for them to get their beaks in. Apples aren't very popular but the babies will eat it if its in very thin slices. Melon, plum, peach all popular with mushroom too. I suggest you get them out of the hide and leave them in the waterdish with the food inbetween them and the hide. You then need to go away and not watch them. While they are settling they can be a bit shy and while I know you want to watch over them to see if they aren't eating, its better to leave them alone. I'd also stay off the supplements till they are eating. But I think leaving them alone will be the best bet.

Helena
blazingtortoise is offline   Reply With Quote