Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 20-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Dandelion
Hatched

Lightbulb Work for animal lovers?

I think it goes without saying that we all love animals here!
I would love to some day care for animals full-time! I'm single so I don't mind the low wage as I know most work with animals don't pay much unless you're a veterinarian. I don't know what to look out for, shelters I've been to don't pay anything and I need to eat!
What work would you say is great for animal lovers?
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

without being qualified I think most of the work is voluntary, if you're serious about working with animals have you thought about doing a part time course in animal care?. I think most though do start of volunteering just to get something to put on their application forms and then you'd be expected to do the 'mucking out'. I really think though you need to be looking to qualify in something even if its dog grooming, of course there's always the pet shops. If you can't volunteer for any length of time you'll have to look for a job and spend the weekends doing the voluntary work, or part time work with a part time college course. You are trying to get into a field of work that even the most qualified have trouble getting jobs, what about the RSPCA or similar who train you on the job so to speak. My cousin is a dog groomer and that came about from a job in a kennels, she learnt most of it there and took the qualification, she now does grooming at home but also works at the kennels.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 20-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Dandelion
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
without being qualified I think most of the work is voluntary, if you're serious about working with animals have you thought about doing a part time course in animal care?. I think most though do start of volunteering just to get something to put on their application forms and then you'd be expected to do the 'mucking out'. I really think though you need to be looking to qualify in something even if its dog grooming, of course there's always the pet shops. If you can't volunteer for any length of time you'll have to look for a job and spend the weekends doing the voluntary work, or part time work with a part time college course. You are trying to get into a field of work that even the most qualified have trouble getting jobs, what about the RSPCA or similar who train you on the job so to speak. My cousin is a dog groomer and that came about from a job in a kennels, she learnt most of it there and took the qualification, she now does grooming at home but also works at the kennels.
Thank you so much! I've been interested in the RSPCA but it seems they only offer voluntary work, which I don't mind as long as I can get something long term later on. I'll look into part time animal care courses in places I can go to, haven't heard of such courses! Thanks again, so much!
Old 20-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Catwoman63
Adult

This is also my interest, I already have a HND in Animal Biology & Wildlife Conservation, would love to finish the degree at some point, I looked into veterinary nursing, I have the prerequisite for the Writtle college where you work a couple of days in a vets placement and study at college the rest of the week, but its just giving up a Well paid job to scrimp a bit, but I need money to care for my animals, so I'm in a bit of a predicament, got to think long and hard and I'm not getting any younger lol x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

My 15 year old plans on a career in animal welfare. He has so far gained distinctions in two level two diplomas - birds of prey and British wild mammals - and is starting his level 3 animal care, welfare and husbandry in September. He then is off to college to do an extended diploma in Animal Management and then a degree in Animal Science.
He's been volunteering since he was 12 at a falconry centre and now also volunteers at a vets, where they are letting him get really hands on.
You can study from home with many courses, provided you are able to afford them. Compass Education is excellent and has a lot of accreditation.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

I was thinking off an RSPCA inspector, I don't know the entry requirements but obvioulsy if you got in you would be paid while you are training, if you need more school qualifications that is something you can do with evening classes. You're talking about a major life change so its worth thinking about it very carefully, the dog grooming seems to be one of the easier to get into, that is if thats what you wanted. It would certainly pay better than some and is something you could aim to do at home, my cousin has an outbuilding her dad set up for her and the dogs come to her.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Dandelion
Hatched

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
This is also my interest, I already have a HND in Animal Biology & Wildlife Conservation, would love to finish the degree at some point, I looked into veterinary nursing, I have the prerequisite for the Writtle college where you work a couple of days in a vets placement and study at college the rest of the week, but its just giving up a Well paid job to scrimp a bit, but I need money to care for my animals, so I'm in a bit of a predicament, got to think long and hard and I'm not getting any younger lol x
That's amazing! All the best in whatever you decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I was thinking off an RSPCA inspector, I don't know the entry requirements but obvioulsy if you got in you would be paid while you are training, if you need more school qualifications that is something you can do with evening classes. You're talking about a major life change so its worth thinking about it very carefully, the dog grooming seems to be one of the easier to get into, that is if thats what you wanted. It would certainly pay better than some and is something you could aim to do at home, my cousin has an outbuilding her dad set up for her and the dogs come to her.
I'd love to be an inspector but I don't have the confidence or emotional endurance to pursue it. Thank you so much for all this information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
My 15 year old plans on a career in animal welfare. He has so far gained distinctions in two level two diplomas - birds of prey and British wild mammals - and is starting his level 3 animal care, welfare and husbandry in September. He then is off to college to do an extended diploma in Animal Management and then a degree in Animal Science.
He's been volunteering since he was 12 at a falconry centre and now also volunteers at a vets, where they are letting him get really hands on.
You can study from home with many courses, provided you are able to afford them. Compass Education is excellent and has a lot of accreditation.
I've looked into the Compass Education and it's definitely something I'll consider taking up! Thank you all so much!