Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Closed Thread

Old 30-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #21
Dazza
Adult

lots of councils are culling squirrels in this country to try and protect what few reds we have left - its illegal to release grey squirrels into the wild so i can't even catch them and realease them in the woods they would need to be destoryed by the council..

They are vermin - and are causeing much harm to the british wildlife populations and can cause huge amounts of damage !!

Old 30-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #22
Pussygalore
Adult

because hubby is the caretaker of a 90 acre private estate which we are fortunate to live in then I could say they aren't going into the wild they are going into my back garden on private land with full permission of the owners, in fact the local police wild life officer has our phone number and has sent people to us with young squirrels, plus the wildlife rescue are here at the moment digging a artificial badger sett for 4 badgers to be released , our squirrels rarely go far, we have had 6 this year so far and they all live nearby and turn up for breakfast etc along with the fox, pheasants and 2 badgers which come each night, in the wrong location I can see them being a nuisance but here as there is only us who live here I consider them my freinds, in fact the local WI ladies come here with offerings of food for the various animals in return for taking photos of them and I'm sure the local school children would also love to see them, we have kingfishers and egrets on the river, kestrals nest on the roof of the main house and a good sized colony of the ring necked parrots( also pests I believe) they all live in harmony I beleive if allowed nature will control the numbers and sort itself out.
Old 30-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
DAISY
Adult

I think what you are doing is great pussygalore and its good that you have the back up of local wildlife officers etc, but I'm afraid WW is right. Its not where you are putting them thats the problem but where they will end up. In years to come, your squirrel population will have grown and migrated to other areas as there will only be enough food to sustain so many. Its the same as me letting my chipmunks loose in my garden, they arent going to stay there forever and I could be prosecuted.
I just wouldnt broadcast what I was doing to be on the safe side. Who knows how the local ladies will feel in years to come if they choose their gardens to live in in any numbers. Squirrels are wild animals and can be quite vicious.

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
Old 30-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #24
elliepom
Egg

way to go pussy galore
i'm with you all the way.
I think what is most interesting is that so many of you see yourself or mankind as the judge of this situation,
Frankly we have done enough damage to the world of nature by what we think is right, only years later to realise how wrong we have been. Its arogant to presume man knows best.

But as it seems so many of you wish to apply double standards to your concern for animals I@ll leave you to your debate.

elliepom
Old 30-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #25
elliepom
Egg

sorry should have said pussygalore!! trying to do 6 things at once
sorry.
Old 30-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #26
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

Pussygalore, i can see the good u are doing and i am not saying ur doing anyhting wrong but even on private land it still belongs to the english countyside and so it is still illegal....all i am telling you is unless u have a argicutal aniaml lience then u are breaking the law.....it is unlikey that u be found out but i am just advising you that it is not wise to tell people what you are doing. thats all....just looking out for ya.
Old 30-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #27
Pussygalore
Adult

well if they have room in the prisons for a squirrel releaser then bring it on
Old 30-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #28
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

to get bak to the orignally , i think from the answers daz it is safe to say make sure the squirells don't get to ur torts and if they are culling them then posion tends to be the most frequenty used type to kill them so becare that ur torts don't get contamiated or ingest anything from the squirells.
Old 30-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #29
Dazza
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliepom
Frankly we have done enough damage to the world of nature by what we think is right, only years later to realise how wrong we have been. Its arogant to presume man knows best.
elliepom
Grey squirrels introduced to the UK from the USA by the wealthy people who thought they looked nice running around the garden - i vote we we undo the damage mankind has done and send them all back to where they come from Danny give us your address youve got some new friends coming, put that gun down Dan

Dazza
Old 30-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #30
Dazza
Adult

Actullay i am gonna do this different - Shot the old lady thats feeding the squirrels, then hopefully they will all bugger of back in the woods

Back in a mo

Dazza
Closed Thread