Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 22-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
sarah
Administrator
Adult

lol got to love the bargains on ebay. There are other crabs on there. Go to pet supplies, then fish then snails/carbs

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I used to have 2 crabs but my dad has them

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #13
piglet
Adult

Sarah when watering them its best to use spring bottled water as all crabs have intollerance to copper and some water supplys are copper high this jkills them in a day , also you need a ready supply of various shells for them to swop into as they grow its amazing to watch them change but dont blink its super fast
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #14
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Im using two types of water. One with a water conditioner in and the other has the condiitoner and salt. Cool they swap shells thats great. WHat about substrate? i have oyster shell and childrens play sand.

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 22-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
kerryp
Egg

i was just lookin into these today,is there a good website with info on how to keep them?
kerry
kerryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #16
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I have just brought a book that becki pointed out to me, thanks. I have asked on forums.

TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 22-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #17
felix93
Egg

I have got them too (have kept them for quite a long time now), they are def fascinating pets.

You need to have the sand slightly deeper than their sizes, so they can bury when molt. Do not dig them up when they are molting. You also need to buy some empty shells for them to change, they like shell shopping, changing shells whenever they feel like it. Give them some rocks or tree branches for them to climb as they like climbing high. You also need to put a sponge in one of the water bowl, so to keep the tank himid enough.

Not too sure if you come across this website. If not check that out.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/index.php

The people on the board are very friendly and helpful, and the information is far better than the book. That is one of the best website, just like this board.

edit: here is a pic of part of my tank set up.

4.0.0 Yellow Bellied Slider, 2.1.0 Peninsula Cooter, 2.1.0 African Helmeted, 1.0.0 False Map, 0.0.3 Razorback Musk, 1.0.0 Chinese Softshell, 0.1.0 C.American Painted, 1.1.0 White Lipped Mud
felix93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #18
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Thankyou. I have a bowl of salt water and one with water with conditioner in. Which one should i have sponge in? I need to get some more sand i ran out.

TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 22-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #19
felix93
Egg

You can put the sponge in the fresh water one.

There are caresheets on that board (see the right and click the speices you have got, I think yours are the Coenobita clypeatus (purple pincer)), they are usually the most common that you can get in UK.

Hope this helps!

4.0.0 Yellow Bellied Slider, 2.1.0 Peninsula Cooter, 2.1.0 African Helmeted, 1.0.0 False Map, 0.0.3 Razorback Musk, 1.0.0 Chinese Softshell, 0.1.0 C.American Painted, 1.1.0 White Lipped Mud
felix93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #20
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Thanks i will look at the web site.

TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION