Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 09-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
bruceleetortoise

Default keeping monkeys as pets.

i have always been quite taken by monkeys, but honestly idnt think they would make good pets, and actually didnt think they could even be bought in the uk (except for marmosets), but i have recently seen a few private ads for capuchin monkeys, and i have to say they look gorgeous and id love one, does anyone know if they would make good pets? does anyone keep them? or can anyone tell me something about keeping them?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

the only thing I know about monkeys as pets is that they can,t be house trained, they will poo whever whenever plus scent mark on furniture etc, they can wear nappies though, the place up the road form us is a rescue center both birds reptiles and monkeys and when we were talking to her about the monkeys thats what she said was the main reason people got rid of them, they can,t really be kept in a cage and unless you mind monkey poo in your house can,t have the run of the rooms. I think you,d need an outside cage/aviary for them, we were tempted by one untill I spoke to her and we don,t have the room or the money to build a big cage outside, I would also imagine that they would need a heated house, it didn,t sound very fair or nice to make them wear nappies and I,d hate to see one confined to a small cage inside.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Raina

My mum says get on a few monkey rescue sites and see the misery and pain and havoc that this trade causes. buying a Capuchin may seem an innocent thing to do but its just the tip of the iceberg, it encourages the illegal trade of these creatures.

not only do they take Capuchins from the wild but other monkeys and apes are taken in devastating ways (like the tortoise trade and importation).
the adult female is often slaughtered in front of the baby, the dismembered and used for bush meat and souvenirs if the baby survives the attack that kills the parent they start out on a horrifying journey buy land and sea which most don't survive.

if they do survive they are often sold to people who have no idea how to take care of them or what to feed them and who do not realise what this animal will turn into at a couple of years of age. it is a trade that should never be encouraged these animals need to be left in their natural environment in family groups where they belong.

Please think again before buying any type of monkey or ape.

have you ever watched monkey business on TV?

Please visit their website

http://www.monkeyworld.org/
Old 09-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
veebee
Sub Adult

I agree with everything you said Raina, monkeys should be left in the wild, they need to live in groups, not turned into humans wearing nappies etc.

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
tortoiseguy
Sub Adult

I agree that they are not suitable pets but I can see why people are tempted as they are so cute, but they should be in suitable environments not cooped up with a nappy on. Most of the ads for Capuchins are scammers just the same as the "tea cup yorkie" ads
tortoiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
mandy
Incubating

ive actually been looking into a monkey (been a dream of mine since i was 5)
capuchins are georgeous and you need a DWA to own one and you wont get a real person selling them, ive had people from cameroon prepared to send to me if i pay £300 western union (SCAM SCAM SCAM ) they allso state they are from UK
marmosets dont need a liscence but you cannot find a real person selling them
i had my hope set right up last week im in swindon and contacted someone about a mamrmoset to find out they lived in bristol so i told him collection is no problem and could he take delivery fee off the price, he took off £80 but said he was very busy and never available for collection and he could possibly get a mate to drop the monkey off for me and i pay COD, anyway i contact him friday to say i had the cash available for today and suprise suprise hes out of the country and had the monkey waiting at the delivery place and i was to contact them, anyway i get an email off them stating they want £150 upfrount to deliver the baby from the airport which i googled and was actually in cameroon
so if you do go for a monkey DONT PAY UPFROUNT insist on COD or cash on collection
ive given up now (pleased hubby no end)

maybe hubby agreed because he knew it was impossible
mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
chris_walton
Sub Adult

darren there are a lot more species coming off the dwal list this year so there will be more readily available as with all primates rule number one is they can not be kept on there own they have to be with there own kind rule number 2 they cost a lot of money to setup up and vets bills can be high rule number three is you can never research enough information on the animals

i know lots of people that keep primates and would never discourage people from keeping them but i would make sure they understood what would be involved in making the animals life as good as possible

darren if your serious about keeping them pm me i have loads of info that might be usefull to you

chris_walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
hbvet
Hatched

all i can say is please nooooo!!! they are supposed to live in groups and to be in captivity is awful. they are extremely intelligent interactive animals, they "cope " in captivity but when you see them in natural surroundings you would neve ever put them thourght a captive life.

sorry, I have just seen far too many captive ones having a poor life.

hannah
Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #9
wizzasmum

Phew - so glad you said that Hannah. It upsets me so much to see the type of animals kept as pets just because people want them.
Much better to book a good holiday and go see them in their own natural surroundings. I just love to watch the David Attenborough programs on TV. It gives a warm happy glow to see them like this, just a pity you have to come back to reality and see equally horrible reports of the likes of Michael Jackson and others who mistakenly feel they can do justice to these creatures
Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
chris_walton
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbvet
all i can say is please nooooo!!! they are supposed to live in groups and to be in captivity is awful. they are extremely intelligent interactive animals, they "cope " in captivity but when you see them in natural surroundings you would neve ever put them thourght a captive life.

sorry, I have just seen far too many captive ones having a poor life.

hannah
not all captive bred monkeys live in horrid conditions or lead bad lives its just that inexperienced people or the pratts that buy them on a whim give every other keeper a bad name i sure this is the same with every single species of animal kept on earth

chris_walton is offline   Reply With Quote