Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 07-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Martin
Egg

Default Leopard Tortoises

I am thinking of buying a Leopard Tortoise, but i am getting differing information on how big/heavy they get and how to look after them in the winter. I was thinking of converting an old brick garage(10 metres x 5 metres with heating and lighting) with access to a greenhouse for the winter quaters. Is this big enough? Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
carl20
Hatchling

sounds better than most ppl provide, you will need a uv heat combined lamp like a powersun 300 watt i think. I assume you have researched them well but if you have any questions just ask.
That sounds like a very big garage m8 it could home one very well, just ensure it is draught and water prooff as leopards are more sensitive to damp and cold than most other species. Ive heard they average about 40 pounds in weight but your right the info is so controversial. They are probably like ppl some 7ft2 and 300 lbs and some 4ft2 and 120lbs and plenty in between but obviously different for tortoises.
For truly accurate info check out the graphs on here i think sarah has re posted them. Or ask phil (tortoise crazy) he keeps about 9.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
carl20
Hatchling

http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=148 here are the graphs of real leopard weights entered by members of tortoise friends
Old 07-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Martin
Egg

Thanks for the reply, the chart helps a lot. My wife is a bit worried about getting a large Tortoise, we allready have two young Herman Tortoises but i have allways liked leopards. I think i had better start building a new enclosure. I am sure i will need some more advice soon thanks again.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

If you are tempted with leopards, then buy from young and grow them on yourself. As if you
get large ones straight away, you wont know the history, and they dont do stress very well.
I know a lot of keepers who have had leopards, found they grew too big, or cost a lot to keep.
Then rehomed them, only for them to die. Mostly because of stress related things.
I know one lady my sort of age, who doted on her leopards. They grew so big she couldnt lift them
which caused lots of problems. When rehomed one died within a few months.
I am not trying to put you off, (although it might seem like that<g>) just trying to point out some
of the problems.
Like you I think they are great looking torts.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
carl20
Hatchling

good point sandy, i hope your post does put some ppl off as some ppl need putting off when it comes to big torts.

Fortunately a 10 metre by 5 metre garage could make a great home, ive heard the only way to move these giant torts is to tickle there back legs with a sweeping brush or something and guide them in the direction you want them to walk.

Martin please buy from a breeder, and i forgot to mention ealier that there are many methods for keeping outdoors enclosures warm in the winter that pppl on here should share with u if u ask but while the leopard is young i would home them indoors throught the winter months.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Hi Carl

I do think member should have the choice, but should be fully informed, researched first.
As some could make great leopard keepers. But they have to know the problems too.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
Martin
Egg

Thanks Carl19 & Sandy for your help/advice, i did not know about the problem with stress. I still would like a leopard Tortoise, but i think i will stick to my smaller tortoises