Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
trusty
Egg

Default leopard eating during winter

WELL our little leopard is now in her new BIG home,,, my question is do they slow their eating down in winter?? I am in France so weather similar to the UK, she is indoors with a UV lamp during the day and a heat lamp at night.. she sometimes doesn;t eat for 2 days then will go and eat everything I put in on day 3. She isn;t drinking as much either!!

THANKS in advance everyone x
trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Hi i have two that are living at a friends house in a very large heated winter enclosure and they do seem to slow down a lot in the winter even stop eating for a few days at a time
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
trusty
Egg

Excellent thanks..... We moved her into her new home 2 weeks ago,, she was really enthusiastic and happy moved around alot,,, its MUCH MUCH bigger than her old one,,, but now she has gone back to not moving much,,, and only eating every 2/3 days!!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusty View Post
Excellent thanks..... We moved her into her new home 2 weeks ago,, she was really enthusiastic and happy moved around alot,,, its MUCH MUCH bigger than her old one,,, but now she has gone back to not moving much,,, and only eating every 2/3 days!!
Is it warm enough for her
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

My guess would be it's not warm enough for your Leopard to want to be active and eating. Unless your heating the room it's pretty much impossible to warm up a larger table enough to get your Leopard eating on a consistant basis through the winter.

Danny
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
trusty
Egg

The room is heated,, its an indoor guest room to our house... plus she has her UV lamp...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

What is the temperature in the room? Do you lower it at night?

Danny
Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Evie
Sub Adult

I slow my down through the winter months - they do not stay awake for so long and I do reduce their food intake - just to avoid them growing to quickly and also the lack of natural food available

You may find that they will get a bit stressy after a move as well - I had my spare room adapted with underfloor heating for them but they just didn't settle in there so I had an outdoor enclosure made and they seemed to settle much better.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

is the uv a combined? if not then your tort will still need a heat lamp/basking area, a warm room isn't enough by itself. I had two combined bulbs for my sully in her 6x4ft table and the room at a min of 20c and she was nice and active.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
trusty
Egg

room is about 20 degrees..... UV lamp is UV and heat lamp. that gets turned off at night and the heat only lamp goes on.... I have been giving her a warm soak in the mornings which wakes her up and she then tends to go and eat and then she goes back to sleep!!