Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 23-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Taszia
Hatchling

Default Anyone good with fishless cycle advice ?

I have had my aquarium set up for a few weeks now fishless cycle tropical set up. My nitrites are still very high all I seem to be doing is water changes . I have lost 2 plants that went brown n goo like so am waiting to add anymore . Sadly I couldn't use old filter media so am starting from scratch using filter booste for the first week. Anyone know or have any advice on fishless cycling new tank syndrome ??? Would be greatful

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
4chester
Incubating

When I kick started the koi pond, I was peeing on the media ( not in public ) to give it a food source lol till it was ready as it was started from fresh. The bacteria will grow exponentially so all of a sudden one day there not there and then the next they are.

Take your time they will appear and if you must add fresh water then let it sit 24 hrs fot the chlorine and other additives to gas off.

One thing to check is that subject to your ph level the ammonia in the water can be toxic, so you may need to buffer the ph. It's the ammonia that converts to nitrites and then onto nitrates

Don't be in a rush
4chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Taszia
Hatchling

Thanks all other readings are perfect as it stands it's just the nitrites that r high so hopefully it's Doing something

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Old 23-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
4chester
Incubating

They will come down with time,
In the meantime the plants are having a chance to get established
4chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Also don't do water changes (no fish to worry about) as that lets the water go through it's cycle. If you have to add (like said) that's fine.

Danny
Old 24-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

You can also do fishless cycles using a raw prawn or by adding fish food to the tank and leaving it to rot, this will produce an ammonia spike and then a nitrite spike and cycle your tank. I always have the heater on during the process and take daily water samples and check the stats. Be patient, it's worth it. If there's plants in the tank leave the lights on also.
Old 24-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Taszia
Hatchling

There is only one plant left as the rest have literally rotted away when the nitrites where at its highest . So just playing the waiting game now

Old 24-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
wigwamman
Juvenile

patience is a virtue when cycling a new tank,as others have said.regarding your plants,are they bare rooted,in a pot or just stems?
what substrate are you using? plants will not grow in sterile gravel.
sort out the ammonia/nitrite first then think about plants suitable for your set up.
have a look here,http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

lol forgot to add I also remove any carbon sponges may be in the filter. May or may not interfere with the process but I always take them out.
Old 24-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Taszia
Hatchling

The reason I could not swap my old sponge into the new filter box is because the new filter has the carbon in the centre of the sponge not separate socks that I'm used to in other tank . So didn't know if should remove due to having none anywhere else in the tank ? I have sand sub same as in other and they are all fine growing well so guessed it was the high nitrites killing them off x