Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 18-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
kim davies
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kim davies
Default any tips?

hi all,does anyone have any tips on how to toilet train a 12wk old pup?ive put paper down and let him out every half hr but he still manages to poo on my carpet! ive got two young children so wont get him sorted cuz dont want kids going near it.he will go outside to do his buis,but not always.been told rub his nose in it but that sounds cruel.any tips would be greatly appreciated.
kim.xx[/i]
Old 18-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
piglet
Adult

Excellent advise there by Bren, who ever told you to rub its nose in it needs theres rubbing in there toilet bowl see how they like it so old fashioned and cruel.

you can also buy puppy training pads that smell to encourage puppy to use them don't expect your puppy to just understand that news paper is for toileting on he will need teaching

D
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
kim davies
Sub Adult

thanks guys.he will go on the paper when hes in the outhouse where he sleeps its just when he comes in.looks at me with realy sad eyes so he knows hes done wrong!poor lad.hes so sweet.suppose its about persevering.x
Old 18-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
westcountrygirl
Egg

If you are taking him out every half hour that is around 24+ times a day, he may be getting confused. The most important times to take pup outside are when he wakes up after play and after eating. Stay out in the garden with him. Encourage him with a repetative command like 'go pee' or similar and when he does it lots of praise and let him back in. Try to be patient and not give up when he doesn't perform in the garden straight away. Try to encourage him to go to the same place to do his toilet. This will build up a scent and a sense of consistency. Don't leave pup in the garden for long periods on his own or he will not differentiate between house and garden. Dog's are clean animals and will try to deficate as far away from their lair as possible. HTH
p.s. Have just read his bed is in the outhouse, therein probably will lie a problem. He may see the house as the same as the garden. The outhouse being his lair.
westcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
kim davies
Sub Adult

thats the only place my oh will let him sleep.i sit in the garden with him n tell him go for a wee wee ,neighbours think im crazy!trying my best.dont loose my temper with animals! he goes out first thing has a wee then comes in and poos.kids think its funny.only 2 n 3 though.ill keep trying.will get there in the end.
Old 18-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
westcountrygirl
Egg

If you know thats what he's going to do, make him stay out a bit longer. My guess is he is getting confused, garden for toilet, outhouse for sleeping, which a 12wk old puppy will be doing a lot, then you let him in the house, to do what exactly? Play with kids? If so he will be getting over excited and he wouldn't be able to hold himself.
Old 18-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
Becks
Adult

kim you have been given great advice by every 1 so far i really dont have much to add ..
my pups where all litter trained by 7 weeks old .jeff can vouch for that time and love is all he needs .. how come your oh wont let him in the house

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
westcountrygirl
Egg

Did you have to sell your tortoises because you have had this puppy? Your oh doesn't sound quite as fond of the animals as you are.
Old 19-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
eminart
Incubating

The easiest way to train them is with a dog crate. If you don't have one already, I'd really advise you get one. Make it his home. He has a nice blanket to lay on, a toy, and seclusion when he wants it. Whenever you're not watching him closely, you put him in his crate. He also spends the night in it. He'll learn to love his crate, and sleep in it even when the door is open. Because dogs don't like to poop in their beds, they quickly learn to "hold it". Each time you take the puppy out of the crate (mornings, when you get home from the store, etc) you immediately take the puppy outside. If he "goes" he gets lots of praise and you go back inside as soon as he's done. It usually works pretty quickly.

Thirty years later, and I'm still keeping "creepy" things.
eminart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Lyn
Adult

When we had a dog a long time ago we had a dog crate and they are brilliant and when I went to puppy training the instructor told everyone else that they should get one. Some of the people thought it was cruel but it really isn't.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote