Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 30-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #21
Gemstone-Dragons
Egg

I read stars don't like orally and didn't want to be back at vets later for jabs when I could use them first and treat ASAP with best chances of working.

Thanks nat, he was still active when I got him but after his vet trip and jab he is sleepy, sleeps in cool end then sleeps under light.
He isn't eating anything that I can see yet either or I would try what you suggested but did morning before the vets.

Dan advised a hopeful improvement should be seen 7-10 days in as I knew it took longer in torts, he is 4 days in so fingers crossed and I will keep everyone informed.

I have already had so much support and advise through this thread and the other forum too, for now I carry on treatment and try to keep mind off worrying researching and planting his veg garden (pots) lol
Gemstone-Dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #22
littlestar
Hatched

not suprised he's hidding away in his shell so would i be if someone was sticking a big needle in me.

That's not one job i would like think i would leave him in the vets care for something like that.

I think £350 is excessive especially as UK breeder who have stars for sale at the mo alot cheaper.

if it turns out you need to use a nebuliser (hopefully not)the vet may be able to lend you one for the tretment.

Fruit should only be given as a special treat perhaps once a week and only a small amount and if strawberry all the seeds should be taken/cut off think a better treat would be a carrot, mine love carrots but they don't get them too often.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #23
Torterra
Sub Adult

I hope he will recover well. He is gorgeous and shame for seller, all others are sick waiting to be sold. Such a disgrace.
Seriously, lying that tortoises 'just had a drink' thats why they have wet noses is not right. You can sell it and mention thet this tortoise will require some treatment after purchase. One could put new tort with others they already have, you never know what keepers will do.

All the best for you both, very nice to get a juvenile Star, they not often come for sale, and he does look gorgeous.

Will wait for update on your Star.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #24
littlestar
Hatched

how's the little guy doin?
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
Gemstone-Dragons
Egg

He isn't sneezing anymore, his nose looks dry now with the bubbles still coming out of just 1 nostril - improvement
Still sleepy with very little appetite but still on anti biotics (day 5) so prob why he is out of sorts
Old 31-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #26
SeeShell
Adult

Sorry you (and doorstop) have had such a rough time. It's difficult enough being a new tort keeper without the additional worry of illness. Sounds like you have a great vet though which is very reassuring. The antib's will take a few days to kick in so don't worry. Really glad though you're noticing some improvement already. Once you get rid of the infection doorstop's appetitle will gradually build up. Stars are by nature very shy so he'lll be doubly so with all the treatment going on.
Old 31-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #27
Gemstone-Dragons
Egg

The kids call him BamBam but on a lighter note thought I would share the reason I call him Doorstop lol....

The first time we visited my partners parents we were in 1 of the front rooms of a large but not very well lit house wth bright sunshine glaring outside when he nodded at something asking "what do you think of that?"
Looking down I saw nothing and replied "think of what?"
He responded "that down there, what do you think of it?"
I looked again at the doorway and the floor of a very dark room and confused replied...."what the Doorstop?"
That is when everyone laughed and picked up what looked like a large stone sat propping the door we had just walked through open........you guessed it, a very large, very old Hermans lol
No matter what the children had called our boy he will always be affectionately known as Doorstop to me
Old 31-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #28
Easter Bunny
Adult

that is a funny story, can just imagine it.

You should stick to that name, definately different.

lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #29
SeeShell
Adult

I love when there's a personal element to a name. Means so much more! That's a great story - as you say he'll always be doorstop to you!!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #30
Gemstone-Dragons
Egg

Doorstop just gobbled his breakfast up