Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 25-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
knottyedge
Hatchling

Default How often do you bath your stars

Quick question for all you star owners ,how ofter do you bath a 5-6 month old star
I have been bathing Horatio once a day before his meal time i also wash his food and put it on his food slate damp as i thought this would help keep his fluid levels up i then spray his viv every night once his daytime lights switch off.
At the start of the week i noticed he seemed a little under active so i have started bathing him in the morning as well so he now gets 2 baths daily and already he seems alot more active do you think he was a little dehydrated?
knottyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
Torterra
Sub Adult

I bath my baby Stars once every day. Just before we go to school/ work I give them a 5-10 minutes soak while Im getting fresh weeds, changing water. After I take them out of the bowl they eat well, then bask/ rest. Occasionally I dont have time in the morning then I give a bath first thing after I come home, late afternoon.
I would not worry too much as long as he knows where is his wated dish and you bath him once a day, he will be fine. Maintain the right temperatures.
My humid hide is a ceramic pot with blunted edges. I used sharpening cigar stone to file sharp bits away. I immerse this pot in water for few minutes until bubbles stop coming out of it, that means it is fully soaked with water. I also use reptile sphagnum moss inside fill 1/3 of pot so it is not drying out too fast. I make sure it is close to my ceramic heater. Moss does not need to be changed frequently, make sure it is always slightly damp.
The temperature on the substrate under this pot is 24C, and on the moss is 19C. She seems to like this setup and chosing where she feels better for her, in the dry house or in this damp pot.
Some days stars less active this is normal. In fact, it is more normal for Stars to be less active, I think.
Last but not least I only have a little experience and there are more experienced Indian Stars keepers around here.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
knottyedge
Hatchling

Cool cheers for the reply, he seems to like a long soak in the mornings and a quick dip in the afternoon at the mo, he does drink of his own accord as well so I'm not to worryed
knottyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
samstar
Hatchling

I used to soak my Stars once a week for 10-15 minutes. They drank from their water dish when they wanted to so I didn't see the need to soak them more often.
samstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
cotley
Egg

Virtually never; no need to.

They have easily accessible water that they choose to sit in/soak/drink from whenever they want. They have a range of microclimates available to them for that all-important humidity. Their food is always well-sprayed.
cotley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
onarock
Hatched

As hatchlings, I soaked daily. As time went on, I soaked them less. I keep them outside and it can get pretty humid and rainy here. I also keep a large shallow water dish in the enclosure that they have access to.
onarock is offline   Reply With Quote