Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 17-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #21
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Stone View Post
I imagine they are like owning a dog

can anyone tell me the disadvantages of having one,also what are the positives?

How much time do they need per day?what is their personalities like and what are the differences in behaviour between the sexes?

Thanks

Jackie
Hopefully, you will have read the recent excellent article on keeping this species here in the UK by Dillon Prest "Practical Reptile Keeping" May 2011 issue?
Sulcata are indeed a very splendid Tortoise species. However, they will test many areas of acceptable behaviour in a domestic enclosure:
1. High cost of Electricity; I use 300W Osram Ultravitalux bulbs which are rather expensive to run.
2. Sulcata, are notorious for excavating and are capable of earthworks of some considerable measure; At various stages I have considered painting them yellow and renting them to Civil engineers. The channel tunnel might have been constructed quicker with a herd of these animals employed at the digging end.
3. Their natural range, the Sahel in Africa, is a area of the world that encroaches on the Sahara desert. Some might say, these Tortoises are capable of creating a Sahara Desert. They cut grass extremely efficiently, from the roots upwards. My male Sulcata "Mountfield", will cut a lawn into his shape within a few hours. Unfortunately, that sometimes does not comply with my wifes idea of a "tidy clip"!
Though, I love the species to bits, ones concern, has to be that these animals potentially make the problems of dealing with unwanted Red Eared Terrapins a piece of cake!!!!!
On the plus side, their droppings are great for growing Roses;---In someone elses Garden, at least one country Mile, from the nearest captive population of Sulcata Tortoises.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
Mrs Frog
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Hopefully, you will have read the recent excellent article on keeping this species here in the UK by Dillon Prest "Practical Reptile Keeping" May 2011 issue?
Sulcata are indeed a very splendid Tortoise species. However, they will test many areas of acceptable behaviour in a domestic enclosure:
1. High cost of Electricity; I use 300W Osram Ultravitalux bulbs which are rather expensive to run.
2. Sulcata, are notorious for excavating and are capable of earthworks of some considerable measure; At various stages I have considered painting them yellow and renting them to Civil engineers. The channel tunnel might have been constructed quicker with a herd of these animals employed at the digging end.
3. Their natural range, the Sahel in Africa, is a area of the world that encroaches on the Sahara desert. Some might say, these Tortoises are capable of creating a Sahara Desert. They cut grass extremely efficiently, from the roots upwards. My male Sulcata "Mountfield", will cut a lawn into his shape within a few hours. Unfortunately, that sometimes does not comply with my wifes idea of a "tidy clip"!
Though, I love the species to bits, ones concern, has to be that these animals potentially make the problems of dealing with unwanted Red Eared Terrapins a piece of cake!!!!!
On the plus side, their droppings are great for growing Roses;---In someone elses Garden, at least one country Mile, from the nearest captive population of Sulcata Tortoises.
Thank you for your comment
Thankfully my garden is not brilliant but its huge,if it is churned up loads I dont think anyone will notice
I shall look into the heating side of it more too
I think it is something that I have to think about carefully
It is great to hear other peoples experiences,please keep them coming
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
Steph37
Hatched

What would be the area you would need to keep a Sully then?
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #24
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph37 View Post
What would be the area you would need to keep a Sully then?
The overall area, for a single large Sulcata, need not be huge, although, it should of course allow for its prodigious appetite, and provide sufficient exercise, for them to wander too and fro, As stated earlier, these animals graze extensively, and a Rye grass lawn, in a sunny well drained area offers
ideal forage for them. However, like many Totoise species, they become habituated to an area usually around a burrow which in nature acts as a retreat not just for security, but also as a means of thermoregulating in their native Sahel climate.
In captivity, the additional heat from MVB bulbs in their indoor quarters is vitally important to maintain them in good health here in the UK. First thing, in the morning they want to bask under these lamps to bring their body temperature up and after foraging for hours on grass, and other herbage, they will return to the lamps on all but the hottest of UK Summer days and cook the contents of their gut under the heat lamps.
Of course, Males can grow huge and as adults can weigh in at very impressive 50-60Kg size. Females tend to be a little smaller. This makes them, without doubt, the largest Continental tortoise species and threrfore, very formidable animals. As stated earlier Male/Male combat can be very aggressive and keeping a group, might lead to other significant logistical problems. I have seen examples where these animals will literally walk through walls and cause damage to property on a significant scale. One famous male often cited on another Forum "Kobe" is named I believe after a famous earthquake in Japan. In my own experience, damage to large Aquatic tanks and filter pumps has at times, caused near biblical floods.
In consequence, I now just maintain the one male; "Mountfield" who is not especially big, but still capable of sometimes boisterous behaviour.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
ibizathetort
Adult

This is a brilliant thread I am going to have a sully when I buy my house. I take it the perimeters of the enclosure need be brick and v deep
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #26
Pussygalore
Adult

I've seen enclosures which use sunken posts as the barrier, the posts are close enough for the torts not to fit through, I like this idea and would probably be easier than building a wall and it looks nice. Our baby sully has a brick coldframe to start with and there's a row of them, all not used, each is about 10ft long by about 5ft wide and we will simply extend into the next one as needed, half of his is turfed with plants the other sand with paving slabs, his house and a heat bulb, that half is covered with perspex the grass end wired. He's only been in there a few times so far when we had the nice weather last month, hopefully the set up will work untill he's big enough to be on the proper grass.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #27
Mrs Frog
Adult

Does anyone worry about what happens if you have a health problem,redundancy,lose home etc and what will happen to their tortoise?Especially if it is a massive tortoise?
I do worry about my 4 hermanns but I know of younger family members and friends who would willingly take them and of course my 2 sons but what happens if you have a sulcata?I know if we thought like that then we would never do anything but it is my main concern before deciding
Old 18-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #28
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Does anyone worry about what happens if you have a health problem,redundancy,lose home etc and what will happen to their tortoise?Especially if it is a massive tortoise?
I do worry about my 4 hermanns but I know of younger family members and friends who would willingly take them and of course my 2 sons but what happens if you have a sulcata?I know if we thought like that then we would never do anything but it is my main concern before deciding
I think you'd need to ask around Jackie to find out what your options would be if the unthinkable were to happen. A few years ago it may have been easier, zoos and what ever may have taken them but not sure if that is still the case now.

In any rate, I applaud you for thinking ahead and considering 'what if'
Old 18-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #29
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Yes, but you hope it never happens. I'd guess they would end up in a rehoming centre. Wendy of Justmeandmytortoise is the person to ask about that one.

It is a worry though, as we "all" get older, fortunately so do our offspring so hopefully they would be able to care for them, but of course the things you mention could happen at any time.

Apart from the budgies, cockatiels and my two elderly cats the rest of the pets will most probably outlive me!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #30
Mrs Frog
Adult

I can imagine some real old ladies in about 50 years time with a great big elephant sized tortoises and maybe they can be trained like a guide dog and take their owners to the shops and withdraw money from the cashpoint