Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 15-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
EJ
Adult

Ok...

Prealpin would be great as a supplement to use with a complete pelleted diet. As a stand alone or even as a supplement it is lacking in nutrition.

'Natural' is a highly relative term. All the ingredients in all the formulated diets are natural... they come from nature... man grows and cultivates them... but they are all natural... and as close to complete as you are going to get today.

I was just trying to show a little consideration to the moderators... I obvioulsy have no problem rehashing this time and again... as you well know. I also have no difference of opinion.

What was special about that website was that the information was presented without bias... that is a very informative... and... unusual website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestar View Post
Lucy272 was asking about pellets this is a pellet and its all natural nothing added unlike others.

EJ we all know your views on pellets this is advise as asked for or is your advise the only one that counts?

ALL options are worth looking at. at the end of the day the TORTS are the most important thing.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #22
EJ
Adult

It's not the same... Formulated diets are nutritious in addition to adding the fiber it is believed tortoises need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestar View Post
you are correct i am against, just like too be natural, she asked a question i added my opinion as do other keepers, its the same as vivs are bad, tables are good arguement, its down to other keepers advise/opinions its then your turn to make your decision

But if you dont get it why do you feed pellets its just the same.
and
Old 15-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
littlestar
Hatched

but if know one is prepared to give it a go then how can you say formulated is better if the same had been said by keepers about "formulated" what would you be using.

I never mentioned it should be used as a stand alone it would have to be mixed with salad greens over the winter months at least they would have some sort of weeds.

As i have said before torts in the wild will eat whatever they can find .

Torts are not native to the UK but we feed them weeds that are not native to there countries if that were the case i'd be feeding mine sri lanken long bean leaves but you can not get them here (unlees someone out there knows different).

We already give are torts vitimins/minerals do you not think by giving them formulated that we are over doing it abit.

everyone is entitled to give opinion/advise thats why sites like this exist just because i do not agree with something does not mean i'm right or wrong i just have my own opinion.

Last edited by littlestar; 15-05-2011 at 06:09 PM.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I don't believe you can replicate the wild. As a result, isn't it risky to try?? Unless you are a nutritionist, of course!
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #25
janeL
Sub Adult

I can't believe I am wading into this, perhaps it's because it is on SW and I feel a little less threatened than on other forums... It's no secret that I sell and feed Pre-Alpin to my torts, so I can't for one minute suggest that what I say is any way subjective.
I fed Pre Alpin for a long tiime before I sold it. My reasons for feeding it was the wide range of extra weeds I could offer that I don't often come accross in this country. There was also an article by AH talking about wild tortoises eating dried matter and as I had observed this in my own captive tortoises I believed there may be something in it.
So far...but it hasn't been long, I have seen positive results. Active tortoises with good but smoothe and steady growth. Their waste is more formed and it seems easier for them to pass (but I know that is very subjective).
I would argue my diet is still a formulated diet of sorts, with or without Pre Alpin, I am choosing what I grow in their enclosures and what I pick for them. I also choose to add supplements.
At presesnt I have chosen to stay away form pellets and to be honest as yet there is nothing that has been claimed either way that would tempt me to try them. I have had rehomers that have arrived addicted to them and in very poor health and these experiences have put me off. However these torts also came from poor environments and as I am trying to be balacnced I should mention that. What I do know is the pellets were passing through them whole and I couldn't work out what benefit they would be at that point. But I am guessing this is not the same with your torts otherwise I guess you wouldn't feed them.
I do know people who have fed the Pre Alpin Fibre to Stars and have done for some time. They are pleased with the growth and development they have seen.

Hermanns THB 2:3:0
Algerian TGG 1.2.3
Ibera TGI 0.1.0[/CENTER]
janeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
littlestar
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
I have given my reasons for using a formulated diet in this thread... and the differences i found in my tortoises when i started using it... the only reason you have given me for using prealpin... is that it is natural...

Your opinion is valid... but maybe abit more info on... How your tortoises are doing on the diet... would back it up a little...

You also have to remember that my opinion is as valid as the next persons too...
i cannot validate anything as it was a surgestion as an alternative, but i will be trying it over the winter months as i do not want to be in the same position as last winter were there was 2' of white crap on everything i will let you know how they get on.

but hopefully someone who does use it will be along soon.

as you say everyones opinion is valid.
Old 15-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #27
EJ
Adult

There is no doubt that if and when Pre Alpin is around long enough there are people who are going to use it improperly and you will see improperly developed tortoises on this diet.

It only makes sense when you consider it is not nutritionally complete.

You also see improperly developed tortoises raised on a totally weed based diet... so... you really can't attribute the form on the diet unless you know the environmental conditions under which it was raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeL View Post
I can't believe I am wading into this, perhaps it's because it is on SW and I feel a little less threatened than on other forums... It's no secret that I sell and feed Pre-Alpin to my torts, so I can't for one minute suggest that what I say is any way subjective.
I fed Pre Alpin for a long tiime before I sold it. My reasons for feeding it was the wide range of extra weeds I could offer that I don't often come accross in this country. There was also an article by AH talking about wild tortoises eating dried matter and as I had observed this in my own captive tortoises I believed there may be something in it.
So far...but it hasn't been long, I have seen positive results. Active tortoises with good but smoothe and steady growth. Their waste is more formed and it seems easier for them to pass (but I know that is very subjective).
I would argue my diet is still a formulated diet of sorts, with or without Pre Alpin, I am choosing what I grow in their enclosures and what I pick for them. I also choose to add supplements.
At presesnt I have chosen to stay away form pellets and to be honest as yet there is nothing that has been claimed either way that would tempt me to try them. I have had rehomers that have arrived addicted to them and in very poor health and these experiences have put me off. However these torts also came from poor environments and as I am trying to be balacnced I should mention that. What I do know is the pellets were passing through them whole and I couldn't work out what benefit they would be at that point. But I am guessing this is not the same with your torts otherwise I guess you wouldn't feed them.
I do know people who have fed the Pre Alpin Fibre to Stars and have done for some time. They are pleased with the growth and development they have seen.
and
Old 15-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeL View Post
the thing is though, your torts are mediterranean are they not but the OP in this thread is asking about stars. Is pre alpin formulated for stars?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #29
Neddy
Sub Adult

Goes and sits in corner.........................
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #30
littlestar
Hatched

its made from weeds/grass that's what torts eat unless i'm on the wrong forum.