Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 14-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Lucy272
Egg

Default Baby star and pellets

Can i suppliment my baby star diet with tortoise pellets, or is torotise too small for them. I was a bit worried about choacking??
Lucy272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
littlestar
Hatched

only pellets i use are grass pellets from shelledwarriors shop which are soaked in water then put over there food. its all natural nothing added.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy272 View Post
Can i suppliment my baby star diet with tortoise pellets, or is torotise too small for them. I was a bit worried about choacking??
the pellets are soaked first , i think stells feeds them to her stars so it might be worth sending her a pm.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
TortBabe
Adult

Would love to know more about this Kelly, have just got 2 Stars and still have loads to learn
Old 14-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
EJ
Adult

Check out the posts of fomulated diets that I started. My Stars are some of my poster children on these diets. The diets I'm talking about are not the grass biscuts that are trying to cash in on the 'all natural' craze.

Pelleted diets highly reduce the production of solid urates in both Stars and Egyptians which are very prone to renal problems due to solid urates.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Torterra
Sub Adult

Smile

I personally using ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food. I started adding it when my first one was 9 months old, in preparation to 'weedless' winter months. In fact, I was hoping to find Matzuri pellets while visitong the States, but alas! So in desperation I purchased ZooMed Grassland Tortoise pellets and had very little faith in them to start with.

It took a while for her to get used to them, she would trample over them and ignore for number of days/ weeks. But eventually she gave it a try. And she loves them, so do i LOL. Once she had her fill she wil leave the rest then munch on green weeds/ grasses. happily starting every day eating some pellet mash. They smell of fresh hay/ grass with some hints of natural weeds. And importantly what comes out of her is neat oval shape and well digested and compact.

I also tried Komodo and I believe those are very good, but she would eat a bit too much.

I have a dolls saucer and soak 3-4 pellets (they are big) every morning then put them onto feeding slate. I keep a bottle of water under the table for filling tortoises dishes and soaking the food.

If I ever have problems with weight drop I would use Komodo. I am probably wrong but i think ZooMed is better for my baby. I feed my baby what I like myself, and I prefer the smell of Zoomed.

I am not expert and just starting, but here a bit of my routine and hope this will help to find what will work best for you.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Lucy272
Egg

Thanks everyone for your info. I bought some t rex pellets from the shelled warriors shop. So i hope these are ok?
Old 15-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
EJ
Adult

This is a seriously honest answer. The only reason I like the formulated pelleted diets is because I think it is more complete and nutritious.

The Komodo, T-Rex, Mazuri, Monster and Mazuri seem to be just as good. T-Rex is not doing to good as a business so I wouldn't suggest a tortoise getting used to that. Komodo would be a good equivelent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
I personally using ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food. I started adding it when my first one was 9 months old, in preparation to 'weedless' winter months. In fact, I was hoping to find Matzuri pellets while visitong the States, but alas! So in desperation I purchased ZooMed Grassland Tortoise pellets and had very little faith in them to start with.

It took a while for her to get used to them, she would trample over them and ignore for number of days/ weeks. But eventually she gave it a try. And she loves them, so do i LOL. Once she had her fill she wil leave the rest then munch on green weeds/ grasses. happily starting every day eating some pellet mash. They smell of fresh hay/ grass with some hints of natural weeds. And importantly what comes out of her is neat oval shape and well digested and compact.

I also tried Komodo and I believe those are very good, but she would eat a bit too much.

I have a dolls saucer and soak 3-4 pellets (they are big) every morning then put them onto feeding slate. I keep a bottle of water under the table for filling tortoises dishes and soaking the food.

If I ever have problems with weight drop I would use Komodo. I am probably wrong but i think ZooMed is better for my baby. I feed my baby what I like myself, and I prefer the smell of Zoomed.

I am not expert and just starting, but here a bit of my routine and hope this will help to find what will work best for you.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Torterra
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy272 View Post
Thanks everyone for your info. I bought some t rex pellets from the shelled warriors shop. So i hope these are ok?
I think Trex is very good, and they content prety similar to Komodo, imho so if Taj will get used to T-rex then you can always substitute it with Komodo if needed.

T-rex content:
Product Description
Trex Tortoise Food is a complete balanced and vitamin enriched diet for your tortoise. Trex Tortoise food is highly palatable and a 100% vegetable diet that is also high in fibre. Ingredients: Oats, Oats Hulls, Corn, Calcium Carbonate, Corn Gluten Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-lysine, Chlorine Chloride, Natural and Artificial Flavours, DL Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Biotin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacinamide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, BHT (as a preservative), Copper Sulfate, Calcium Lodate, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxin Hydrochloride, Thiamine Monoitrate, Natural and Artificial Colors, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source vitamin K3), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate. Analysis: Crude Protein 8%, Crude Fat/Oil 3%, Crude Fibre 14%, Moisture 10%, Ash 15%, Vitamin A 19,000 IU/KG, Vitamin D3 800 IU/KG, Vitamin E 200 IU/KG, Copper 10 MG/KG.

Komodo content:
Superior taste with natural flavours.
High in fibre.
Ca:P (Calcium to Phosphorous) of 3.5:1
Ingredients:
Oats, Beet pulp, Maize gluten, Maize, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lucern, Minerals, Vitamins, Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSN, Titanium dioxide. Contains EU permitted colourants and flavours

Analysis :

Crude Protein : 9%
Oil: 5%
Fibre : 12.5%
Ash : 7%
Vitamins : A, D3, E, B1, B2, B6, B12, Niacin, Phosphorous, Copper, Omega 6, Omega 3
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
Lucy272
Egg

oh ok,
I was gonna get the komodo one to start with, but was not sure when i read that it was formulated for med torts.

Is that the one that you use? Or is there another formulated for tropicals.

Will let you know how they go dowm later on.