Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 14-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
newforestmum
Hatchling

Default Leopards and rain

Last night again "Honey" kept heading for outside so again we switched off her lamp but this time we blocked off her doorway as we did not want any drafts getting in. She slept in the doorway all night.

Been out this morning (about 10 minutes ago) and unblocked her house plus switched on her powersun. Just looked out upstairs window into her run during the heavy rain fall we are having at the moment and guess what. Honey has taken herself outside into the rain and to her favourite hiding place. Well it will be a hiding place when the ornamental has grown bigger than her as at the moment she is bigger than the grass and therefore sticks out from under the grass. Will pop out with camera when rain calms down a bit and kids have gone to school

So I know my Iberas just love the rain but what about Leopards? Do your Leopards head out into the rain as well? Is it okay to let her decide when she wants to be out in the run or when she wants to go in to her house?

I will be setting up an alternative overnight heat source for her

Sorry for all questions I did do a lot of research before she arrived but I still seem to be asking questions

thanks Lisa

newforestmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
newforestmum
Hatchling

back from school run and what a nightmare that was. cars everywhere, roads flooded, etc

anyway went to take picture of Honey hiding but she had gone. thought I know she must have gone into her house but no not there. looked out in run again definately not there so the only place left was her polycarbon tunnel which is joined to her house. bent down to have a look what a surprise I got.

so far everytime I put her into one of her two water bowls/baths she just climbs straight out and stomps off. But the rain has some how persuaded her to go for a bath. this is the first time I have seen her having a bath since she moved in. I am so pleased

newforestmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
aprillinda

what a lovely surprise for you

honeys 1st bath by choice

linda
Old 14-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
piglet
Adult

In my experience all tortoises enjoy rain showers as long as its not a cold day and the animal is allowed access to a warm and or area to dry and rest without being on a wet floor or wet substrate .
Both my Hermans and Iberas will quite often feed and lie out in the open on rainy days but they have dry cover to retreat to once they have had enough .
Tropicals such as reds and yellows love the warm rainy days and mine enjoy rain bathing on days like this of course they are not left out doors through the night after rain storms as the damp ground can lead to respirtory problems with tropical species especially.
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
tortoise_crazy
Egg

my leopards love to go out in the rain and when they have had enough they will normaly go back into their shed and warm up before going out again, one of my females was even digging a nest when it started to rain yesterday but she quit when the thunder started. ours will even venture out in the winter as long as they can get warmed right through for about 3 hours before hand,we use 250 watt infra red lamps for this purpose as it warms the inside of the tortoise, better than the basking lamps.
phil
tortoise_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
terrypin
Adult

thats a coincidence phil i use the same type of lamp myself we have two in the shed they work well for my leopards and seem to give a good heat.up until i moved 2 years ago i had two in each of the green houses for the spurthighed and hermans i used these to extend the season this was great and they are missed i hope to run some power down the them this year and get thing set up the same as before by next spring we should be ok also big job to construct a muddy pond or wallow for the leopards got the plastic sheet and the place next year should be good for them all.
terry
Old 16-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
carl20
Hatchling

phil terry do u guys find it very expensive to run a few of those bulbs and so u guys use uv bulbs or just let the leos get uv fro the sun???
Old 16-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
terrypin
Adult

hi carl yes these lamps can be quite expensive to run ,,so you have to turn them on and off, and only use them when there are tortoises under them that need warming up ,i have mine on dimmer switches ,so i can turn them down for part of the time. and if we have a bad freeze at night, i can leave them turned on a bit to take the edge off the temperature, this is kinder on the bulb, and they last longer than ones that are turned on and off with a conventional switch.i must admit i dont have uvb light in the shed, just very bright daylight tubes, and i do rely on the sunshine for my adults. the juveniles are housed in the cellar and have uvb tubes and spotlight for basking.
terry
Old 16-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
carl20
Hatchling

sounds good terry, i think ive seen these bulbs, just under a tenner arent they?

i think ill go for them when mine are housed permanantly outside, is the sunlight enough uv in the winter,
Old 16-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #10
tortoise_crazy
Egg

we use a dimmer with the infa red, but we also have 3 160 watt power suns and a radiator running, oue electricity a week is around £15 and that is the whole house, the leopard shed and the redfoot shed, which i do not think is to bad
phil
tortoise_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote