Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 24-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
moormax
Incubating

Default Leopard Tortoise

Hi Just wandering if any of you guys can recomend a leopard breder, I don't want to ghet one from a shop as they are normally housed incorrectly and even with others including tropicals and meds. Amongst other things.
I want a baby one! And yes I know how big they grow and that there diet is made up mostly of high fibre grasses etc....
I have looked on the breeders list on here and on tortsmad
Thanks In Advance

Jamie
moormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
wizzasmum

Personally I would look to rescue one Jamie and do my bit to discourage breeding of these creatures in this country. Lots of people buy them withour knowing how big they get and how much winter care they need, so if you look around you will be bound to find one soon.
Hope this helps
Old 25-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
carl20
Hatchling

there is plenty for sale on slowcoach, and there is a breeder in the north east.
Old 25-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
moormax
Incubating

Thanks for the replies I will have a look on slowcoach. I agree with not breeding them as many people just don't check to see what is going to be involved in the long run. Its pretty much the same with Iguana's too they are so small and cute as babies but grow to be six foot in length!

Thanks Again

Jamie
Old 25-08-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

So how big do they get then?
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
moormax
Incubating

Hi They are the forth biggest Tortoise They grow to around the 18 inch mark and weigh about 18kilos. There have been ones in the wild which are about 24 inches in length and about twice the above weight but this size is rare.
Here a link with some goood infohttp://www.thetortoisehouse.com/
Or here http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/PDF...20how%20big%22
Old 25-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

Wow they are beutiful though
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
terrypin
Adult

hi be aware how heavy these animals can get i have 7 adult leopards and the largest is 440mm scl it may not sound a lot but they are incredibley bulky ,at night now the weather is startng to turn i have to bring them down to an area that i can seperate from the main enclosure ,it is about 40'x40' with a heated shed for them and i use a wheelbarrow for the larger tortoises this can take upto 40mins some nights, by the time i have found them all and is worse in the middle of summer as the juveniles have to be counted every night while they are housed with the adults, although most nights they can sleep out in the main area its still a lot of time and effort at both ends of the season.sorry to go on but eventually they all get fairly large and need a lot of care so good luck your gonna need it. oh by the way they are worth it .
terry
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #9
veebee
Sub Adult

Terry, it sounds good fun!!! Have you any pictures you can post, I'd love to see them!! I have four babies (hatchling to 2yrs) I have rehomed!!!
Thanks Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
terrypin
Adult

hi welldone for rehomeing the baby tortoises i hope you get as much pleasure from watching them as i have over the years, got my first hatchlings from the uk in 95 from one of the only breeders at the time and he was a tortoise trust member..now here i am 11 years down the linewith 3 rescues and 8 juveniles i have kept myself ,plus my 4original babyswho are now adults i do have some photos just cant figure how to post must keep trying.
terry
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote