Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

maybe its because he's such a small light build unlike a heavier dog who's weight could pull on the op site, there's nothing to milo plus he's a fit little thing, anyway fingers crossed he stays this good.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #12
cherylahutch
Adult

That's just like Sam he was jumping on the sofa the minute he walked in from vets. The pain killers stop it hurting them tho I found he slowed down slightly at the end of them but not for long lol Sam is a great heavy Labrador so don't think its build that makes a difference. Pleased he's doing good am sure it's a relief xx
Old 05-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Suze65
Adult

Glad to hear he's doing well.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

Milo had his first check up last night and everything is fine apart from he seems to have a shaving rash or so the vet thinks, poor thing you'd think they'd use some shaving foam. Anyway I mentioned that his appetite increases when he's on antibiotics/pain killers and asked if they could be easing a stomach problem as he usually doesn't want to eat, and the vet said it could be possible. Apparently some dogs are on Zantac for most of their lives for indigestion or something similar to IBS so if he slows down eating between now and next monday, his last appointment she says we might try him on it. It was a great relief that someone actually agreed with me that there could be a phsyical problem as to why he doesn't like to eat, she says he's just in the safe limit for his weight but agreed that he can't loose anything, you can and always have been able to feel all his bones. I think I've said before that we've tried most conventional foods, home cooked and raw and they all have the same effect he goes to the dish licking his lips then backs off and will go for a couple of days before eating anything, its not the food but the actual eating and if he got tummy ache or heartburn etc then that would explain why he doesn't want to eat. Fingers crossed that we may have solved his problem, the same thing happened when he was on antibiotics in the summer, ate anything while on them and a couple of days after then reverted back to not eating.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
filardimarg2
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to filardimarg2

had that sort of problem with Kiera most of her life, her weight is like a yoyo, as she has never carried excess weight when she does lose any it shows very quickly, he usual weight is 36kg (she's a GSD)which is about ok, but she lost 1.1kg last October/November, people were asking me if she was or had been ill but the vet said she was fine, not to worry about her weight, old dogs don't need to carry a lot of weight because of the joints. It is worrying though when your dog wont eat or loses weight for no apparent reason, no matter what the vet says.

Marg.

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni...Flo, Dotty & Daisy, all December 2010.
German Shepherd Dog...Kiera.
filardimarg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #16
Pussygalore
Adult

Milo doesn't actually loose weight as he's never put any on, the weight he has is from him growing (stopped now) not body fat, he weighs the same as he did at about 6 months or his max size. He uses far more calories from running around than he takes in, he's a bit like an anorexic, shows interest in food, any food then sniffs it licking his lips then backs away from it. It doesn't matter what it is or what its put on ie floor/dish but still sits gazing at you almost drooling, it has to be either mental or something hurts when or after he eats I can't think of anything else, he's been the same since a puppy.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #17
Pussygalore
Adult

thanks stells and I to think that the amount puts him off, but we have tried most dried foods and the only one he picked at was bakers, not the best I know, I sent away for samples from many manufacturers as a sample lasts him ages most were given away though. Its a shame you can't buy small amounts of food, anyway although he would pick at the bakers it was never enough by itself and leaving it down made me think he was just taking enough to stop him feeling hungry for anything else. At the moment he seems to accept the Natures Menu frozen raw meat cubes and I can thaw out one at a time, I've also given him a raw chicken wing which he did seem to enjoy, it had to be cut in half but I thought if he's going to have a 'chew' it might as well be something that contains some food value and they are cheap enough 25p each in my butchers. I don't think its the food though as if he's in a eating mood he's not fussy, this sounds silly but sometimes the only way he'll eat is if kevin gets on the floor and feeds him from a fork, I know thats giving in but its often the only way to get him to eat anything and I've thrown so much food away as it will only keep so long even if in the fridge.
Old 15-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #18
pagan queen
Adult

Have you tried Raising his bowl up slightly, so he can sit while eating? I know he's only tiny but he may feel more happy to eat if he can sit and have the bowl at his level. Just going on what you said about him eating from a fork, I bet it's at his height and not low down. Worth a try.
The other thing is, have you tried HiLife food? Not the best food in the world but Teddy was so much like Milo. We tried so many different types of food and he wouldn't eat any of them until we found HiLife. He has had the dry complete food for 12 years and recently we found a wet food in trays. They only sell it through poundland so we have to go in and buy everything they have as they run out often. It's 2 trays for a £ one tray lasts Teddy 3 days. They are only small trays but would last Milo longer.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote