Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 03-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
clairekentuk
Incubating

Perhaps it is upsetting but it is a reality that tort accessories and especially vet bills are very expensive.
These things should be taken into consideration.
Not only that I am deeply distressed to see pics of a tortoise that looks in an absolutely terrible way just days after the other tort has died.
I dont care if I sound harsh, i feel for these animals. I dont often get angry on forums but torts deserve the very best care.

Claire
clairekentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #12
carl20
Hatchling

im not trying to be argumentative claire but i think ppl are a bit hung up over the uv required by torts,
Most mammals and birds require uv light for the same reason as torts however for mammals like humans 15 mins a day is sufficiant for all our growing bones. Now i know some animals get d3 from eating meat however the amount of sunlight needed for herbivores is still minute. I think most torts prefer shade than direct sunlight and a lot of the d3 synthesis is caused by heat. at midday in britain uv is 160 (uW\cm2) at 12 inches below a trex flood light uv is 100 (uW\cm2) yet once the tort is 3 inches out of the direct centre of the beam uv is only 20 (uW\cm2) so it would take 8 hours at this area to get uv equivilant to 1 hour in british miday sun, This is why i think 1 hour in midday british (summer) sun would be sufficiant for the tort whilst he has no uv tube. it must be noted though that uv is only high in britain in summer and at midday so make sure u get your tort out then CPX, and keep him out longer when it is overcast.
carl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

every animal deserves the best care!! not just tortoises, where is the pic to prove the tort looks in a terrible way?
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #14
cpx_20o5
Egg

Send a message via MSN to cpx_20o5 Send a message via Yahoo to cpx_20o5

right looi has never had a uvb light as his certificate thing says hes wild taken so we havent rushed to get a uvb, besides hes been outside all the time lol, and umm...JERRY we got a replacement light we borrowed money off granddad and he said his treat instead lmao!!
so yea we all cool now, looi will have a light in 3 weeks

XxR.I.P Pewe.xX
cpx_20o5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #15
clairekentuk
Incubating

It was posted on the forum before it got wiped.
Pewe died of cause unknown and Jerry has real swollen legs and then a new tort arrives when the others dont even have access to garden or UV. Im not disagreeing Carl, the issue here is not the UV in my opinion though I do believe as all evidence suggests that UV is important for torts in preventing MBD and promoting healthy growth.
The issue is tortoises are not for poor people, harsh though it may seem, vet bills and accessories are not cheap. Im not suggesting they rehome the torts if they are able to provide adequate care. Ill say no more on subject, im obviously offending people.

Wow a certificate saying wild taken. Thats something to be ashamed of if such a thing existed.

Claire
Old 03-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #16
carl20
Hatchling

no, i agree with u claire, no pets are for ppl without enough money to look after them, it is cruel.
I was just giving my knowledge of uv light that is all, im not fully aware of this situation about a dying tort and swollen legs etc... so i wont go into that, i was just providing a way for the lad to get his tort uv while strapped for cash
carl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #17
michaela
Incubating

i am a little confused maybe i am mistaken, but i thought i read in a previous post that looi came from a friend of yours. i didnt realise he was wc. where did you get it from.
michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #18
aprillinda

hi cpx

been reading your other threads

i am not a tort expert still quite the new learner

but i am an expert with regards to kids, 4 of my own, 3 grandchildren, and i teach and playwork with over 200 kids

and it seems to me your niece has caused u a few probs with regards to the tort table and trex and light holder

kids get very excited with little pets and usually they r a lot stronger than they look and do not know their own strength

perhaps you should keep an eye on the little one whilst she is near your equipment & torts preventing a disaster is easier than sorting it out later, perhaps u and she could make a few ground rules regarding the torts
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #19
cpx_20o5
Egg

Send a message via MSN to cpx_20o5 Send a message via Yahoo to cpx_20o5

OK if this sounds nasty then be sure its not....

OK, i know i should be providing my tortoises with more and proper care, i may be god damn poor but i can afford things for my tortoises, it just takes a few weeks to get money together, now i know you lot think that im supplying wrong care but im not, im feeding weeds and natrual foods for them, im also giving them right heating and lighting, the uvb light went thats all....i put the tortoises out side anyways in the dya with nice wethering here.

NOW then when you mention POOR PEOPLE shouldnt have epts its cruel because they cant afford right care WELL its bloodty well wrong, us poor familys can afford Stuff for exotic pets...and everything....NOW i am poor no point denying it....but i can afford stuff for my pets, and i am the one who looks after them not mum dad brothers or anyone else just me....so would you please not mention poor people shouldnt keep pets its cruel....whats CRUEL is people that go aorund slaggin us poor people off saying we just cannot look after pets thats what it is!!

XxR.I.P Pewe.xX
cpx_20o5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #20
clairekentuk
Incubating

Well mates dont usually issue a tort a cert saying wild taken either. Not much that this guy says rings true in my opinion. No vet would say the tort in that state was in good health. Even a useless vet could see that its not.
And now im on a roll and really must stop before I have mods on my case!
I hate to see animals suffer and kept quiet before but now im real upset and time to get off my high horse.