Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
Laura Mac
Hatched

Default 1 week into hibernation and he is awake help!!!

Hi first time i have hibernated petey and done everything by the book. I have a fridge at a constant temprature of 6 degrees. I had petey on no food for 4 weeks and limited hisheat and light for this time as well. He took a while tonsettle in hibernation but he did which was a week today. I took him put today to get weighed and he was wide awake. Looking sleepy but awake. I have not heard a peep from him all week and now can hear him slowly moving about in his box (i have put him straight back in after being weighed). I dont know what to do now. Any advice? I presume this is not 'normal'
Old 13-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

When tortoises hibernate, they don't sleep the whole time, like mammals do. They will sleep and wake as they do when not in hibernation, but there body is so cool its in a state of shut down, so they don't need food. So they do move around a little during hibernation. So I wouldn't worry, leave him and he will settle again.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
Laura Mac
Hatched

Thank you so much thats really put my mind at ease. I got the fright of my life when i seen his wee face looking back at me
Old 14-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Mac View Post
Hi first time i have hibernated petey and done everything by the book. I have a fridge at a constant temprature of 6 degrees. I had petey on no food for 4 weeks and limited hisheat and light for this time as well. He took a while tonsettle in hibernation but he did which was a week today. I took him put today to get weighed and he was wide awake. Looking sleepy but awake. I have not heard a peep from him all week and now can hear him slowly moving about in his box (i have put him straight back in after being weighed). I dont know what to do now. Any advice? I presume this is not 'normal'
I personally didnt weigh any of my tortoises in the first couple of weeks, as it can take them quite a while to settle in. Then I used to weigh them fortnightly.
Tortoises move if the temps go up or down, and fridge temps do change.
My tortosies bury down in the GH and I dont weigh or see them until they come up again in the Spring. But I can see the soil around them move slightly if temps change.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

its all been said but 15 degrees during the day and 0.1 at night - there is no hope with this tshirt weather. inside a darkened box and cool at 8 degrees for 3 days (or fridge as you do) and should be set up ok for hibernation as its a natural process of chemical reaction as days get cooler and tortoise cant warm up. It's the waking I always find a little scarey!