Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 20-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
DonnaG
Egg

Smile Meet Ruby my new red foot

Having read up on tortoises for the last few weeks and wanting a tortoise for years. i decided a red foot was the best suited to the life i could give it.

I got her today and named her Ruby!
At the moment i have just a basic set up but will be buying more on Thursday (payday) to add.
I hope i have everything.
A basking spot light/bulb
a uvb strip light
2 food bowls
a hide area
reptisafe
vitamins for food
a cuttlebone
Some curly Kale and mixed salad bits (have made sure there is no iceburg lettuce)

At the moment she is in a 4ft vivarium and when shes bigger il expand.
I know most dont agree with vivariums but ive only had her an hour and a half and shes already moving around and has eaten so seems very content!
This will be monitored of course.

Heres some photos ive taken. I am leaving her alone to settle so only have a few.

Last edited by DonnaG; 20-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.
DonnaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Very nice

Your going to have to keep the substrate damp though to have your Redfoot do well. You might want to add some coir to the substrate. That and have a much larger water dish.
Vivs are excellent for Redfoots so no one will give you a problem with having a viv here.
Don't go to high with the UVB strip light, 5.0 is just fine.
You may have to add a ceramic heat emitter for night time, with the viv on the floor, to keep the heat around 20C.
Also adding some animal protein (worms, mealworms, pinkies, etc.) to the diet once a week would be good too.

Danny
Old 20-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
-Amber-
Egg

She's very sweet, congrats on your new baby!

Mum of 3 daughters, and our furred, feathered and shelled babies- Millie- Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Poppy- Chihuahua cross Yorkshire Terrier, Marlow- Ragdoll, Tootsie- Persian, Bramble- moggy, Alfie and Willow- bunnies, Shreddie and Toffee- ratties, Clover, Bluebell and Violet- chooks, Tuki- African Grey, Loki- Yellow sided Green Cheeked Conure, and George- Eastern Hermann's Tortoise.
-Amber- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
DonnaG
Egg

Hey, thank you for responding.
I will be spraying once a day so that should be enough shouldnt it?

I should have the legs for the viv on Wednesday so that may help and il deff be looking at a ceramic heat emitter, i have had a look online and il be sorting that on Thursday when i get paid. She will be ok until then wont she? if not il borrow some funds and get 2moro.

I will be feeding once a week some chicken etc, we use a lot of chicken fillets (diet freaks in my house) so she'l get her own little portion and pinkies once a month for a treat.

Im going to print a list off food types she can eat but it varys on different web pages?

I am so in love with her already, shes very interested in everything so il be investing in some plants and things to make her viv look more natural. I did another post asking for peoples viv's for ideas but i cant find it.
Old 20-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Catwoman63
Adult

Ruby is lovely, I was looking at them on preloved, quite fancy one of them as we'll, what am I like! Be good to have a non hibernating tortoise while my hours fields are hibernating over winter x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

Hi Donna, she looks lovely, but I don't know anything about tropical species, but I do know Surrey Pet Supplies have everything you need for lighting and heating etc, and are about the cheapest on line.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Ruby's beautiful!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Hi,
I've already PM'd you on RFUK about him but noticed the thread on here as well. Glad you got him, have a look at the suggestions in the PM. I would feed 40% fruit and 60% weeds. All fruits are fine except for citrus, tomatoes and bananas. You can supplement the weeds with veg+salad. Normal weed lists for Med species are fine, my two particularly love hibiscus, plantain, rose flowers, clover, dandelion and forget-me-not.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Oh, also that is quite a lot of protein for a small tort. I wouldn't advise feeding pinkies at that age, feed unflavoured fish or chicken(as you are at the moment) every two weeks.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
DonnaG
Egg

Is it ok that ive got both the uv main strip and the basking lamp on 9-9 everyday? ive got two automatic switches?

Tags
new addition, red foot, vivarium