Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
myhermannitortoises
Egg

she thinks i dont know anything about leopard tortoises
Old 01-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
terrypin
Adult

with all her experience who am i to argue.
terry
Old 01-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
tortoiseguy
Sub Adult

I agree it would be lovely to return them to the wild, but the fact is that we dont know how long they were in captivity before shipping, what diseases they may have and which specific region they came from. If they were released they could potentialy infect other wild tortoises and wipe out a whole area. The best option is to find them all great homes where they will live long healthy and happy lives, which is exactly what Tamie and the TT have done.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
Lyn
Adult

I thought you wanted one of the Heathrow Leopards. Is this because you weren't allowed to have one? This is all a bit childish so I am not voting.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #15
myhermannitortoises
Egg

no, because some other people on a different forum have asked why she doesn't put them back into the wild. i did want one but now a load of people have told me that they may have disease and i dont think i could risk it, alos please vote as it may say an accurate vote on what should really happen to the leopards because they have been taken out of their own country and put into artificial conditions. If they were put back into the wild (in africa obliviously) thgen i think it would do them a lot better than keeping them in the country. by the way ive got a leopaards tortoise now. been down the pet shop and they had a sudden rush of loads of leopard and horsfield tortoises so they gave me a leopard tortoise 40 minutes ago. Also the reason i am asking everyone in this forum is because i asked sarah and her reply was "Dont be so silly. I am not even going to answer that one."
I still havn't done anything wrong on this forum as you can see
Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Well done for supporting the WC trade, buying from petshops just opens the gates for more to be imported
Sarahs reply is exactly what mine would have been

The North West Tortoise Group
Old 01-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #17
myhermannitortoises
Egg

it was captive bred, isnt giving out the tortoises supporting wild caught trade? and i didnt buy it i got given it as there was too much stock, what can i say
Old 01-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #18
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Yes I'm sure it is 'captive bred'
Of course giving them out isn't supporting the trade. They have been seized by customs and so need rehoming. They can't be returned to the wild for the reasons already stated by people and so they need to be rehomed, thats not increasing the demand for more to be brought in.
Good luck with your new Leopard, I'm sure your going to need it!

The North West Tortoise Group
Old 01-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #19
Lyn
Adult

These tortoises were destined for pet shops and probably would not have got the good care that they are getting from the people who they have been rehomed to. I think the right decision has been made. Although we would all have love to seen them be reintroduced back into the wild, this is not going to happen. This would need to involve a huge amount of people, take lots of planning etc... and putting them through the stress of all that travelling etc.. again is not good. I do not see this as supporting the wild caught trade. These have been rescued and now have a great chance.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #20
myhermannitortoises
Egg

"new leopard?" ive been looking after it in the pet shop that i work in for the last two years as i have stated. yeah he is ok. i still dont see why they cant put them in a nature reserve in africa. thanks for your opinions. oh so there is less demand? less tortoises in africa, more leopards in england
Closed Thread