Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 27-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Mrs Frog
Adult

Default Sulcatas do they need pellets?

Little Ted has been bought up on pellets and grass and that is all for 3 years

I am introducing weeds which he is now accepting thankfully,does he need the grassland pellets at all,shall I just not bother or continue with these also?

Thanks Jackie
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Minty913
Hatched

If he is eating weeds stick with them. But not to sure about pellets as I have never used them but I'm guessing the real thing would be better.
Minty913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
tort two
Hatched

Id say use the pellets and the weeds,just to mix thing up every once in a while,i know my leos and my sully get bored eating just hay and weeds and their feeding slows down,so sometimes i would grate a carrot or some squash into their food some times i give them just weeds,other days just hay i try to come up with different combos,my guys wont eat pellets but if they did i would include them into the mix for sure.
tort two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

You will possibly need them in winter Jackie as it will be hard to get enough weeds. I don't know what they are supposed to eat to be honest
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

if they are the grassland ones then I'd carry on if he's eating them as I think they are mostly fibre and odds are if he'll eat them he also eat the alpine cobs that are again just grasses etc. The extra fibre would be good for him as well as the vits etc, most have a job to get their torts to eat the fibre cobs/pellets so personally I'd carry on as they are very handy in the winter. If your worried then just use them a couple of times a week.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

What type of pellet, if the sully has been fed a complete diet once or twice a week with grasses it should be doing very well. They are good grazer's, grass for fibre and bulk, feeding lot's of weed's seem's fine, but can throw them off the grasses. The guide line of 70% grass 30% plant's is not an old bad line. I would add a complete diet at least once a week.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
ALDABRA MAN
Egg

in my opinion pellet foods this time of year are for lazy tortoise keepers , there is so much natural food about why would you want to use pellets. I have quite a few giant torts including sulcatas and Aldabras and I am a great believer in self feeding, but when the grazing starts to slow down I get off my but and go and find some. I never use pellets in the winter either. Hope this doesn't cause any offence its only my opinion .
ALDABRA MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALDABRA MAN View Post
in my opinion pellet foods this time of year are for lazy tortoise keepers , there is so much natural food about why would you want to use pellets. I have quite a few giant torts including sulcatas and Aldabras and I am a great believer in self feeding, but when the grazing starts to slow down I get off my but and go and find some. I never use pellets in the winter either. Hope this doesn't cause any offence its only my opinion .
Most people I know on this forum who use pellets use them for a variety of reasons. I must say I don't think laziness is often the reason.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
ALDABRA MAN
Egg

please educate me with the reasons why pellet foods are used, as far as I am aware they are only a substitute for the real thing . If my questions or comments appear a little rood then I apologise I am some times a little blunt and to the point.
ALDABRA MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALDABRA MAN View Post
please educate me with the reasons why pellet foods are used, as far as I am aware they are only a substitute for the real thing . If my questions or comments appear a little rood then I apologise I am some times a little blunt and to the point.
Well, sometimes "blunt and to the point" is called honesty and that is never a bad thing

I'm probably not the right person to go into the ins and outs of pellets....goodness knows there are plenty of threads about it.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote