Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 17-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
shafach
Juvenile

Question water bowl in tort enclosure...

Hi all... quick question - is it ok to keep a water bowl in the torts indoor enclosure throughout the day ??? I am out at work in the day and sometimes my two torts decide to have a bath themselves in their shallow water bowl, even though they are bathed every morning without fail for at least 20 minutes... any comments would be most welcome...

two hermanns - Mikey and Ralph
two moggies -Kenny and Roisin
one hamster -Trev
shafach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I always keep a water bowl in with the torts 24/7, they need access to water at all times, Shafach
Old 17-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
shafach
Juvenile

Phew, thats what i have done all along... just assumed that they need access to water at all times... the reason i asked was on another thread about torts having a bath, i mentioned that along with their daily bath, they have a little dish of water in their enclosure which they sometimes climb in and out of throughout the day. Someone mentioned that their vet recommends that aside from their bath, they should not have water in their enclosure, as they get their moisture from their weeds, and dont need the extra drink. I often see my guys having a slurp during the day, and would be loathe to remove it. The reason given was that if they have a bath, and then drink from the water (which may contain waste) it could be dangerous for them... I can see the logic, but don't really want to remove their drink in the day... xxx

one hamster -Trev
Old 17-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
BigS06
Egg

Send a message via AIM to BigS06 Send a message via MSN to BigS06

I keep a water bowl in there 24/7 its one of those ramped ones for easy in/out.
BigS06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
shafach
Juvenile

I use a flower pot saucer which is just the right size for my wee guys... am relieved to hear others leave water in their enclosures... always something to worry about with these little critters... thanks both... xxx

one hamster -Trev
Old 17-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

I use a water bowl and have done since the beginning. I also put in some pebbles while they are young, so if for any reason they tip over in the water, they have something to push against and right themselves.
I also only use rain water in the dish.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafach View Post
I use a flower pot saucer which is just the right size for my wee guys... am relieved to hear others leave water in their enclosures... always something to worry about with these little critters... thanks both... xxx
Thats exactly what I use, hun, that vet's talking rubbish, they definately need to have access to water, its an outdated idea that they get all their moisture from weeds. As long as you supply fresh water every day (I do it twice a day) and give their saucers a good clean everyday maybe disinfect once or twice a week they'll be fine
Old 17-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
shafach
Juvenile

Thanks for your advice all, I think I'm doing the right thing, then someone else comes along and says something which makes you doubt whether you are doing the right thing... Haven't been using rain water tho, but i will start ( i promise !! ) its not as if we are short of rainwater, lol... many thanks xxx

one hamster -Trev
Old 17-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Toni M
Egg

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Thats exactly what I use, hun, that vet's talking rubbish, they definately need to have access to water, its an outdated idea that they get all their moisture from weeds. As long as you supply fresh water every day (I do it twice a day) and give their saucers a good clean everyday maybe disinfect once or twice a week they'll be fine
My point was not that they get ALL of their needs from weeds, he states bathing them EVERY day AND weeds should be enough. My vet is a highly respected tort vet and not just a animal vet. He has bred and keeps dozens of torts for decades (since a youngster) and he is making his judgements on findings over the last few years. The vet also lectures/traines other vets on torts so this is why I sought further advice.
Toni M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
shafach
Juvenile

oops, sorry Toni, maybe i didnt give enough info... Sorry... didnt mean to start a dispute...

one hamster -Trev