Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #21
imported_Lowe
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to imported_Lowe

Martin, if you're based in the West Mids and don't mind a smallish journey, I have to recommend a vet in Stoke as listed in our Vets section. Hannah is absolutely superb with tortoises and I have every confidence in her being able to help you out.

http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=74

As Darren says, it sounds like he's possibly wild caught and has the Heximita problem. Remember though Heximita needs Metronidazole as Piglet says, normal worming drugs won't help. Get it properly diagnosed, then treated if need be since this really is a serious condition. It's took us nearly a year to get our male Redfoot back to normal!
imported_Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #22
Martin
Egg

Hello all
I have just got back from the vets, i am afraid it is not good news. Ian(the vet) said the same as darren about being wild caught if imported from Jamaica. He also confirmed that it was probably internal parasites causing the problem and has administered a wormer/antibiotic/appetite enducer to try to get him eating. Sadly Ian thinks it is to late to save him .
I will be up all night with him just in case he does eat. My wife is out getting bannanas(i know it is not good for him but anything to get him eating). I am open to any other ideas to try and save him.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #23
aprillinda

martin

sad news

i wouldnt worry about bananas being not so good anything to tempt him

keep him hydrated with baths keep him warm

do you know what wormer the vet gave as darren and lowe said some parasites need different wormers

i am sure darren sahra or lowe will be along soon they have dealt with a similar problem with sucess

if not pm them they will help

linda
Old 06-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #24
aprillinda

me again martin

did the vet check the other tort out

linda
Old 06-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #25
Martin
Egg

Sorry Linda
I was trying to get two tortoises to eat, he did check both tortoises and they are both infected(no surprise there)but Merlin is much worse than Gryphon. They are both on Panacur and they have both had a new version of Mectronidazol which he had to inject into Merlin due to the severity of the infection. I have phoned the shop where i got them from mainly to warn them the other two cherryheads he had will also be infected. I only hope it does not fall on deaf ears! I am going to try and get Merlin to eat again but i will be back soon. Thanks for your help
Old 06-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #26
aprillinda

martin

i really feel for you and the poor torts

shouldnt imagine the shop keeper will do much but you know you tried to help

i have heard about a product called critical care used for torts that are not eating but i do not know if it would help in your situation sahra or darren are much better to advise you

did the vet think things might improve

linda

ps do not worry about responding your torts must be your 1st priority
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #27
converted

Martin

I hope that things work out ok!

It must be terrible - but hats off to you making sure that you are giving the little guys the best treatment you can!

Keep us all informed!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #28
piglet
Adult

Hi Martin so sorry your little reds have this condition but as Linda has given excellent advise there isn't much else to say i really hope he pulls through you will be surprised at how hardy they are again though hydration is far more important than food at this moment good luck Martin i really hope they pull through.
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #29
Martin
Egg

Hello
got to be quick. the vet thinks Gryphon will make it but i am afraid he thinks Merlin will not I am hoping to prove him wrong about Merlin but i fear he is going to be right. Thanks for trying to chear me up and to everyone for your help and advice. I will leave my computer on, if i can i will pick up messages later
Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #30
aprillinda

martin

please make sure you are giving your torts a soak in a warm bath for 20 mins every day he can soak up water via the rear end even if he doesnt actually have a proper drink

also it would be better for the torts to have a constant warmth both day and night

good luck our thoughts are with you

linda