Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #21
ArmourDillo
Incubating

And the DEFRA/Police partnership against wildlife crime PAW http://www.defra.gov.uk/paw/

Email the Police Wildlife Crime Officer in your area, they take this very seriously.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #22
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay

Wildlife Crime Officers are great people - we have one on our course as a part time mature student. They have gone for the position as they really care and will do anything they can to help (well, those we've met anyway.. I'm sure there's a bad egg out there somewhere)

But definately try your local officer, they'll give you any help you can get

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #23
gtm
Hatchling

I'm doubtful that much of what you describe would consitute 'animal cruelty' in the eyes of the law. The only thing that may be is the shell rot - it is technically animal cruelty to deny needed veterinary treatment. Keeping a tortoise in a vivarium isn't cruelty neither is feeding it dry food and nor is mixing species. There is the issue of over crowding but the average pet shop is a pretty cramped environment and they are not deemed cruel.
gtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #24
Pussygalore
Adult

You have to be very precise in a complaint that you make to either the council or the RSPCA, ie tell them exactly where the problems lie and also how they should be kept, neither the council or even the RSPCA are tortoise experts and need to know how it should be in order to do something about it, give them good information and they should act they will also keep you informed if you ask but won't divulge your info to whoever they are investigating, you need to come accross to them that you know what you are talking about and aren't just some silly animal lover.The council have enviroment officers who can and will inspect premises they are looking more for health and safety issues so hence the better the information given the more chance they have of finding something either ilegal or that has to be put right.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #25
kaz9t9
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kaz9t9

but surely something can be done under the new animal welfare act?

It makes owners and keepers responsible for ensuring that the welfare needs of their animals are met.

These include the need:

For a suitable environment
For a suitable diet
To exhibit normal behaviour patterns
To be housed with, or apart from, other animals (if applicable)
To be protected from pain, injury, suffering and disease

by the sound of it, not much of the above is being met?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #26
sulcata2big
Hatchling

Default update

im still waiting for the rspca to contact me regarding the outcome of their visit. i dont think anything will come of it as the rspca dont really know the needs of tortoises, as long as they have food and water i think they will say they are fine, the same as the council i dont think they will do anything either as he wasnt advertising animals for sales. as soon as hear anything from either of them i will let you know.
sulcata2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #27
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

lol thats nothing new.....i think they shud drop the "p" in there name . Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty To Animals.....don't get me wrong they seem to do alot for ill dog,cats,horses,rabbites and should but what thats after they have been abused. what happened to the prevention of cruelty. many a times i have been told by them that while there ok and living there is nothing we can do.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #28
EJ
Adult

Default So wrong

This is so wrong. This person invited you into their home to provide you with a tortoise you were passionately seeking and this is how they are rewarded.

One day, I promise, each and every one of you will have the chance of feeling the wrath of your fellow keeper.

I notice that even though I had been to the UK three or four times certain 'friends' never invited me into their homes to see their tortoises. I always wondered about this and now I see why.

Some of you people are down right evil and the other half are as naive as you can get.

Again, the tide frequently turns with fanatical tortoise keepers as many of you know.

The next time you think about making that call, consider that someone might be making that very call on you.

Kinda like the witch trials or the inquisitions... I can't remember where that sort of thing was popular but I wonder if it is a genetic thing.

I can't see where one single person asked for a clarification of the picture. I see a bunch of blind sheep/lemmings just diving off the edge. Again, don't be surprised if one day one of you is on the recieving end of this mob mentality. I know at least one of you already has and know exactly the reason for this post.

Cheers to you nice bunch of friendly people.
(I'll give this post 5 minutes before being pulled, 4:27GMT)
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #29
Pussygalore
Adult

I can't speak for anyone else but I for one have nothing to hide all my animals are well looked after and anyone is welcome to come and see them how are we ever supposed to help any animals/birds etc if we all hold our tongues when we see something that we feel is wrong, the person who witnessed this was obviously upset by what they saw who are we to say that they are right or wrong, EJ you never went to the house anymore than anyone else so how do you know that what the orriginal poster said is not true, are you calling them a liar, its everyones responsibility to speak up against anything that we see that could be called cruel or wrong would you not speak up if you witnessed a child being hit or knew of someone committing a crime, I'd like to think the majority of us would and that you are in the minority being one of those people who prefers not to get involved,
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #30
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

don't wanna be offence but as you have been i feel i shud repay the favour. who cares if he in vited the person into there house....if he is keeping them wrong or breaking laws then he need to be dealt with. your one for talk, the tortoises never asked you to come to the home sin the wild but yet you still keep wild ones.

maybe soem of these friends of yours don't invite you into the house as they don't like you or maybe it's becuase of you not minding mixing torts and feeding them pellets and therefore they don't want you to come near there torts just a guess of course. from what i have picked up from here, such as people that ahve brought torts of members on here such as piglet then they must have gone to there house to pick them up ,so they have seen there torts, and most members are constantly posting pics of there animal and setups.

also i don't like this comment "Some of you people are down right evil and the other half are as naive as you can get" what does you people mean. as i noticed that most of the replies on here were from british members.....so i do hope that was not intended as a rase coment. even if it was not i found it very offensive.

i don't see how you mentioning U.K. has any bearing on this matter. even if it was in the north pole and they were treated badly then they should be helped.

i have never found a post where you agree with a person or comment on something without it being very negative and offensive and contradicts what many are told.

i also complety agree with pussygalore and stells posts
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote