Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
Lyn
Adult

I have seen Sarahs successfully kept group of redfoots on here and they look great.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

Default proper environment for a redfoot.

I don't know where you're going but I'm going to a place that offers accurate information.

Redfoots do not come from moist environments. The do rest in humid(not moist... unless, of course it is the rainy season) rest areas.

Ref.

Turtles of Venezuela by Peter Pritchard

The Behavior and Ecology... by Debra Moskovits (a thesis)

And information collected by friends who live, and who have visited to collect data, in their native range.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

edward u always have info from friends that live in thes epalces don't ya. wow u read a book that told u some info....hands on experience is much better than abook. please stop putting other members view down and go play with your tortoises or what ever it is u do.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
chris_walton
Sub Adult

hold on a minute dont red foots come from areas with lots of vegatation if so doesnt this mean theres moisture in the ground for the plants to survive unlike arid areas where med torts come from which is has quite sparse vegetation which means theres not a great deal of moisture in the ground
so if they do come from high vegetation areas wont the moisture in the ground evaporate and cause humidty around the plants and animals that live there

Old 11-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #15
EJ
Adult

There was no put down... only a different point of view with references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior
edward u always have info from friends that live in thes epalces don't ya. wow u read a book that told u some info....hands on experience is much better than abook. please stop putting other members view down and go play with your tortoises or what ever it is u do.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #16
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

edward .....it was a put down.....don't go beating around the bush.

"I don't know where you're going but I'm going to a place that offers accurate information"

u suggested that sarahs info was wrong and that only u had the correct if. bloody hell if u can't see that then god help you.

that is not a differenc eof views. in many topics u start a agrument wher eone is not needed and then when u having else to say u end it with "there is no real answer" even when the answer has been answered about 10 comments before hand. u have told people that wc is better and that importing is fine. u say mixing speices is ok and even keep cows with ur torts. people aren't posting the questions because they are scared of being crucified by u as u make people feel guity about asking something.

there is not alot of things i dislike but one of them is bullying and thats all u are doing.

sorry mods and admins but i feel i am only saying what is on alot of members minds
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #17
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

sowie stells and any more mods

its just i ahve strong morals

i think ur torts look great no matter what shell they have.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #18
helen1
Sub Adult

I guess they only go this way..and I am adding to this...because people do not agree to disagree and move on. Why is it that this level of(for the sake of arguement ) nastiness only occurs on the internet? I ask this time and time again and as Sarah mentioned the other week and I know from experience, so many really nice tortoise keepers will not even consider coming on these forums which is a great shame.

Ok..... whenever I read something that I consider to be "against" what I beleieve/know/have experienced...what do I do? I go check it out...for myself...

Ed, Sarah and anyone else on here that has posted has success with their tortoises and it is 100% certain that they do NOT do it the same way..thats were the experience comes in..that is preceded by the knowledge which is our base. Where does the knowledge come from? Books, research articles, dissertations etc etc.

I spent 5 hrs on the net(late bed) because I was interested in the points that were made and hey I wanted to find out for myself...for that I would like to thank all of you, including Ed...I may have informed myself and it was fun. I knew nothing about redfoots before or their natural habitat, as Sarah will confirm, now I have a good base of information...to build on...Moskovits, D. K. 1985. The Behavior and Ecology of the Two Amazonian Tortoises, Geochelone carbonaria and G. denticulata, in Northwestern Brazial. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Chicago, Illinois
Walker, P. 1989. "Geochelone carbonaria Red-footed Tortoise" In Conservation Biology of Tortoises ed. Swingland, I. R. and W. Michael. Kelvyn Press, Inc. Broadview Il. pp. 17-19.

Reptile and Amphibian Magazine

by Petra Spiess (Lowe)-Rocky Mountain Herpetoculture

I will not let learning end here either...this is the beauty of this forum.

There were more refs too but I am useless at references.

Sarah...good work by the way, on getting him better.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #19
Pussygalore
Adult

we can only assume that EDs torts are fine and kept well as he never posts any photos or none that show his animals and their housing etc, everyone else on here has and do post photos because they have nothing to hide and want to improve their care and housing, most of these disagreements only occur when a ED starts in so untill he is gone then unfortunately they will continue because a lot of us will keep on defending what we believe the right way to care for our animals.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #20
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Don't mean to highjack this post, but here are links to posts on here that include photos and links to photos when Ed as he said was in 'a sharing' mood

http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/...488&highlight=

http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/...484&highlight=

Laraine
Closed Thread