Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #21
piglet
Adult

Not a very good picture but here are some adult redfoots wild gathered for the pet trade, they aren't true Albinos but they survived and grew so not all animals are predated that have white or albino trates.

great pictures by the way and very interesting.

I have bred alot of redfoots but I have never had a albino animal but one day it might very well occur

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #22
wizzasmum

I never labelled every genetic change as abhorrent, I simply siad that deliberately breeding genetic mutations was unkind or words to that effect. Humans with genetic problems are often discouraged from producing children. Humans who have produced children with genetic problems are wither dissuaded from having more children or screened during pregnancy to give the option of termination. Why do you think this is? Nit picking is not going to change my views on deliberate breeding to produce animals which would not survive in the wild.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #23
wizzasmum

I am well aware that these things do happen unexplainedly, but this is not what I was saying and as Darren mentioned, the ones discovered were not true albino's
Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #24
Kate
Incubating

The animals I have been referring to are perfectly capable of surviving in the wild as this is where they were collected from, as adults, for the pet trade.

There is nothing unkind in any aspect of breeding these different colours as I have been trying to explain. It is a simple case of colour change as you would have in most animals - labradors come in yellow, black and chocolate and none of these colour forms are considered genetic freaks - nor should they be discouraged from breeding as there simply is no genetic problem.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #25
wizzasmum

Sorry Kate but thre are huige problems in Lab breeding full stop otherwise there would not be the need for hip scoring, PRI tresting etc I have said my buit on deliberately breeding albinos and have no intention of getting into a discussion on the moral of dog breeding. The proof is out there - ask any vet who has worked with these species. I guess this is turning iinto a discussion as to whether we want to care for pets becasue our individual specimanes need our care or whether we are more interested in what we can produce to keep people happy. My last post on teh subject
Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #26
Kate
Incubating

The point you skirted again was that the colour was not an issue.

I have given you many an example now where this is true and I guess it is now down to yourself to understand as it seems I cannot educate you.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #27
lee
Egg

Send a message via AIM to lee Send a message via MSN to lee

having look around i have see quite a few albino type tortoises as adults so they are thriving very well in captivity without any health problems and as i said enrichment of diet through more supplement to its diet but nothing tooi major to do in every animal keeping where albinos and colouration changes occur and the hypomelanistic redfoot are especially getting very popular in the states so have albino sulcatas been bred n the united states.
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #28
mich
Incubating

Hi,

Great adult opinions from all, cheers.

What ever your opinion there is one thing that is astounding! And that is the price these anaimals can go for...

From an an american site.

TORTOISES

ALBINO SULCATA C.B. BABIES $10,000.00

Mich
mich is offline   Reply With Quote