Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #51
EJ
Adult

No one said you are keeping them wrong. I also can't seem to find where anyone said you were having a problem with your humidity.

I only suggested that they should not be kept on a totally moist substrate. I supplied references to support my position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
You still have not answered my question?

The way you wrote it sounded like you were implying i was keeping them wrong, i sugest you think before typing.

The experienced man has posted lol re read.

Im sorry where did i write that i had problems with humidity??? im confused.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #52
piglet
Adult

OK Ed had your say and put your point over on a thread that again has turned into world war 3 something that's become quite common since you joined , I must stress I was warned this would happen after I told people I had invited you to join the forum, typical of me I never listen and now the price is paid .
I had so many Pm's asking advise as people are to afraid to post incase you turn there post into a battle field.
Ed perhaps its time you took time out while we try and repair the happy the side of the forum then you can come back and F---k it all up again.
Sorry to all those that have PMed me asking to add to the topic of this subject but I refuse to get into an Ed Pirog debate as they go now where at all
D

17 years old 25 years ago
Old 12-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #53
piglet
Adult

Just to add to the topic

I keep my redfoots in a indoor table around 7x5 the substrate is top soil 2ft in depth kept moist to a humidity of 70% on top of the substrate is a layer of childrens play bark which is damp to the touch but not wet this prevents the tortoises from lying on a constant wet surface , which as Ed and others have said will or could cause the keratin layer to become brittle with rot causeing posssible infection.

I don't have a dry area or a wet area my method works well for an indoor set up.

I do see though what Sarah is saying the animal in question was kept on a shallow dry absorbable substrate which became sodden with the animals urine as the enclosure was small and the tortoise had little or know where to move too he was subjected to have to lie in his own excretment thus in turn began to eat away at his kertain layer causeing a rot type effect in fact its amonia burns

I can also see what Ed is on about , but in my opinion reds need a humid enviroment whether it be an overal exposure or a hide area which is popular with some that contains high levels of humidity.

What is important is reds or any tropical tortoises shouldn't be subjected to long or constant rather than long periods of time resting on wet ground hence why I use a bark layer between soil and animal.

Anyway thats my imput

Will try and add pictures of my set up to go with this tomorrow,but think there may be some on the forum if your bothered do a site search

D

17 years old 25 years ago
Old 13-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #54
tort71
Egg

Quote:
You still have not answered my question?
Actually I did.

Quote:
The way you wrote it sounded like you were implying i was keeping them wrong, i sugest you think before typing.
It's more like the way YOU read it.

Quote:
The experienced man has posted lol re read.
And...?

Quote:
Im sorry where did i write that i had problems with humidity??? im confused.
Umm...nowhere?

Lastly, relying on rude remarks to debate is usually considered a sign of immaturity and foolishness.
Old 13-11-2007, 01:49 AM   #55
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

well tort71 as piglet and sarah are admins and very knowledgeable on the torts i think they shud not have to be spoken to like that by you.

i on the other hand am 17 so i am immautre in the sense i am not over 18. if u read my other topics then u will no i am foolish . whats wrong with being foolish ...i thought it was having a laugh and such...maybe something u shud try?????

i will be very nice and polite. there are some steps next to the horse u are sitting upon ,cud u please get down from the high horse and remove that head from out of your bottom region.

treat those as u ahve been treated....a customization of the bible but still.....if ur rude then others will be rude back. i am neather but i won't just stand there as u are giving s*** to other members.
Old 13-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #56
tort71
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet
OK Ed had your say and put your point over on a thread that again has turned into world war 3 something that's become quite common since you joined , I must stress I was warned this would happen after I told people I had invited you to join the forum, typical of me I never listen and now the price is paid .
I had so many Pm's asking advise as people are to afraid to post incase you turn there post into a battle field.
Ed perhaps its time you took time out while we try and repair the happy the side of the forum then you can come back and F---k it all up again.
Sorry to all those that have PMed me asking to add to the topic of this subject but I refuse to get into an Ed Pirog debate as they go now where at all
D
I honestly think a certain group of people here are just being plain EMO. Ed hasn't done anything here besides share his experience and knowledge. People here dislike that his statements might actually have some merit to them OR it clashes with their "dream" way of raising tortoises. Is it necessary to be so theatrical and create such drama because you disagree with his views? Am I missing something? Is it the year 1943? What's the purpose of having a public discussion forum when your statements must be in accordance with the moderators here? If the true purpose of this forum is so that certain elites can gloat about their methods of tortoise care, why bother? Just post some stickies, lock the threads, and lock the forum.
Old 13-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #57
Pussygalore
Adult

well I for one like the people that run this site and very much value what they have to say, although almost evrybody has more experience than me, this is and should be a nice friendly informative site and no one is forced to stay we do so because we want to I have learnt so much since being on here and whether its the right way or not its the way I like and it works for me.
Old 13-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #58
DAISY
Adult

What a load of c*** over a simple post. I didnt see Sarah asking any advice, just sharing. Why couldnt we all have just said
"Well done Sarah for taking him on sure he will do great now he is with you"

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
Old 13-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #59
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Thank you, this thread has got way out of hand and let be the end of it.

I put the picture up to show that shell rot can happen in red foots.

Then it changed because some idiot implied i was having trouble with my humidity!

Tort71 how dare you call me immature foolish. I will take advice and if im doing something wrong with my tortoises i will change it. I dont pay for this forum for people like you to say that to me.

I NEVER SIAD I HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY HUMIDITY.

Also i was not being rude in my last posts.

Now if you want to carry this on please pm me seen as you are such an expert

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Closed Thread