Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Julia
Egg

Unhappy they think it's winter!

Hi,
this horrible weather has confused my poor torties. I have two 5 and a 6-year old hermans. They have spent the summer outdoors, but clearly think it is time to start hibernating.
Jess has dug himself down inside the coldframe and doesn't come out, even when I leave the heat lamp on all day. Titch is somewhere in the garden, dug in, and I haven't got a clue where she is. I'm sure it is too early for them to start, so what should I do? Should I dig out Jess and put him indoors? I'm sure he has shut down his system.
And what about the missing Titch? She is not very big yet, and surely couldn't go from now until spring. I suppose I have to dig over the whole garden? Any suggestions please? Or can I actually leave them to do their own thing?
Thanks
Julia
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

I wouldnt worry to much about the tortoise that has dug down in your garden, hermans fair really well hibernating this way. It would be better if you knew where, for your sanity<g>.
I would leave the other one in the coldframe, there is also no reason why you cant leave that one there too. You have heat in there if it were to get frosty.
I have had two tortoises hibernate naturally out in the garden two years running, with no harm coming to them. My others bury down in my greenhouses, and only have a GH fan heater to come on if the temps drop below 5 degrees. They have done this for the last seven years without any harm coming to them. Its natural for them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
linda.t
Hatched

my reps have started to go to bed early like u,
i think it's the bad weather
linda.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Hi
My Torty has ben brought in, because I don't want him hibernating yet as he is underweight. I'm trying to feed him up lol and then he can have a late hibernation eg end of December. It has been an awful summer here and so cold. He has lost alot of weight due to the weather as he just digs down and sleeps, so I eventually brought him in. I'm hoping by End of November he will have put enough weight on to hibernate.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
sky
Adult

My little one is in now as well, to cold and very wet, same as you Shell, if I hibernate it will be late, as you said December. Off to the breeder today hope to get another little one and have a chat about hibernating.
Kayx
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
welshlass22
Adult

My tort is sleepy alot, just sits under heat lamp ALL day lol! unless she wants food.

I'm not hibernating her this year....Mum said its best not to since i have no experience.
I don't really want to anyway....not until i read more about it and know exactly what im doing.

welshlass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Julia
Egg

Red face

Thanks for your suggestions. In this nice sunshine today Titch suddenly turned up, covered in mud. She is now in the warmer coldframe, but the other one, Jess is now gone. They seem to take it in turns digging themselve in the soil. I am still worried in case I can't locate them before it gets really cold. They have not been eating for while now, and I don't think they could just go on without food from now until next Spring.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Steph37
Hatched

Wink Hibernating

Mine are very confused by the weather too, but still eating a little bit-not started losing weight yet-usually I reckon it's ok to let them lose up to 20gm (as long as they go down heavier than when they got up from the previous hibernation) I like to bring mine in, bath them etc to make sure they are empty (bowels) and have full bladders before I put them down. The sun barely gets on their enclosure now but I get them up at 7.30 before leaving for work-they are stone cold and eat straight away, although this is slowing...have 2 8yr old Hermanns and this year have rescued a male Horsfield who the owner was told was 2 but actually is 20 therefore probably illegal import, and have just had a sub-adult female Horsfield rehomed (TT), but she's not had a proper healthcheck so she is inside and I wont let her hibernate til next year as I've only had her for a few weeks
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Julia
Egg

I am still worried about Jess (6). He dug himself down inside the coldframe and is completely covered up. He's been there for over 2 weeks now and has clearly started his hibernation. The heatlamp has been on every day and I even tried leaving it on at night, but nothing seems to get him up.
He has not hibernated outdoors before. I would like to keep things as natural as possible, nd wouldn't mind letting him do as hi likes, but I can't see how I can leave him from now until next spring. He is a bit overweight for his age, but surely starving for the next 6 months is too long for him. What do you all think?
Thanks
Julia
Old 27-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
midi-mania
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to midi-mania

6 months? that's a bit long me thinks? surely 3 at the most?

my 4 year old hermans has never hibernated whilst i have had her and i just don't have a suitable fridge either, there's no chance of leaving her outside becuase we have rats

i think she is around 600gm probably a little more, but she is 14cm so that is about right, just a little over weight i think

was going to weigh her tonight but ive lost the scales