Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Flynn
Egg

Arrow New Tortoise Owner Seeking Advice!

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

Yesterday I got a tortoise (I think it's Horsfield - the pet shop said it comes from Iran and Pakistan deserts - and it looks like a Horsfield). It's quite young I think, I need to ask the pet shop its exact age. His name is either Dmitri or Rorschach.

Right, basically the only cage I could get was an old rabbit cage of ours which looks like this: It's quite spacious, but we plan to either buy/get a tortoise table or convert the greenhouse into an indoor and outdoor enclosure for him.

The petshop advised we get a UV lamp for winter and night time, but we haven't got one just yet (it's really sunny at the moment, I've been taking him outside). They also said to use a heatmat - BUT THEN I read online they're really bad. What should I use instead? Will my tortoise survive a few more days till I get the better equipment?!

First it wasn't eating or excreting, but then it started to perk up after being outside (and doing its business, of course!)

The substrate they advised was but apparently play sand and soil is better?

I tried giving it water but it just trampled in it and hasn't drank any of it yet? Is this a problem?

I feel really awful now that I looked up heatmats are bad, so I am going to get a UV lamp and Heat Bulb for a basking area as soon as possible. What do you all think I should do?

(Please don't treat me badly either, not that I think you will, he's in great condition and we've been feeding him. It's just the heating, cage and UV I'm worried about).

Thanks.
Flynn.
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Flynn
Egg

I'd also like to add a few things. My grandparents had a quite old tortoise which didn't have any heating and lived in their greenhouse/linked to the outside. Is this because it's old and doesn't need as much care?

I'd also like to clarify, my tortoise is quite small and my current guess is around 1 - 2 years old. When I have him inside, he just sits on top of the heat mat under the card box I currently have as his 'house'. He doesn't move much and I'm worried either he's too hot or too cold?

I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks!
Old 19-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
EJ
Adult

The bunny cage will work just fine. Make sure the tortoise can get out of the sun if you move it outside.

Heat mats are probably the most efficient heat source if you use them correctly... they are not bad at all.

The substrate that was recommended works just fine. Make it deep enough so the tortoise can bury itself.

There are some tortoise keep who are set in their ways or believe everything they read on the net... Tortoise keeping shoud not be as difficult as some make it out to be.

Check out this book... it might make your live easier in terms of tortosie keeping...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Tort.../dp/0793828821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new here.

Yesterday I got a tortoise (I think it's Horsfield - the pet shop said it comes from Iran and Pakistan deserts - and it looks like a Horsfield). It's quite young I think, I need to ask the pet shop its exact age. His name is either Dmitri or Rorschach.

Right, basically the only cage I could get was an old rabbit cage of ours which looks like this: It's quite spacious, but we plan to either buy/get a tortoise table or convert the greenhouse into an indoor and outdoor enclosure for him.

The petshop advised we get a UV lamp for winter and night time, but we haven't got one just yet (it's really sunny at the moment, I've been taking him outside). They also said to use a heatmat - BUT THEN I read online they're really bad. What should I use instead? Will my tortoise survive a few more days till I get the better equipment?!

First it wasn't eating or excreting, but then it started to perk up after being outside (and doing its business, of course!)

The substrate they advised was but apparently play sand and soil is better?

I tried giving it water but it just trampled in it and hasn't drank any of it yet? Is this a problem?

I feel really awful now that I looked up heatmats are bad, so I am going to get a UV lamp and Heat Bulb for a basking area as soon as possible. What do you all think I should do?

(Please don't treat me badly either, not that I think you will, he's in great condition and we've been feeding him. It's just the heating, cage and UV I'm worried about).

Thanks.
Flynn.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Flynn
Egg

Thanks so much Ed! I really appreciate your help, you've helped put my mind at rest. I'm glad I'm doing something right so far. I'll stick around the forums, everyone here seems quite friendly anyways!

Thanks again, I'll take a look at that book !

Flynn
Old 19-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Ooh yes do get Ed's book in the link. I got it and read it in the bath in one sitting!

For the heat bulb, all I use is a 100w spot lamp. Like you, I heard the horror stories about heatmats from the 'set in their ways' keepers and got unfairly put off. Works just fine for me and my tort. Makes it nice and bright too. Might well get a mat to help us through the next winter. And i've got a separate uv strip. Not really on lately as it's going outside type of weather.

Do get that book tho. It's a real good treat. x
Old 19-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Flynn
Egg

Thanks Pixie and Ed! I will definitely try getting that books. It's looks good and doesn't burn a hole in your pocket either!

At the moment my posts have to accepted, so you'll probably have to wait a while to see my replies, haha!
Old 19-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
purplelynn
Sub Adult

Hello and welcome Flynn - lots of good advice on here - ask away and read away
purplelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

what is that substrate, wood shavings or straw?

whatever it is they will want you to be buying it from them because it's not cheap. you can get a big bag of topsoil for £2.49 or free from the garden.

the UVB lamp isn't actually for night, the tort will most likely be in a hide or buried in the shavings then anyway.

if it is pine wood shavings it can give off toxic fumes under the lamps but not if it's hardwood
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
EJ
Adult

I use a similar product which is aspen bedding.

So... you use the topsoil because it is cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
what is that substrate, wood shavings or straw?

whatever it is they will want you to be buying it from them because it's not cheap. you can get a big bag of topsoil for £2.49 or free from the garden.

the UVB lamp isn't actually for night, the tort will most likely be in a hide or buried in the shavings then anyway.

if it is pine wood shavings it can give off toxic fumes under the lamps but not if it's hardwood
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

yep. all that kind of stuff from a pet shop is somewhat overpriced. £10 worth of topsoil from a DIY shop could do a whole year in some cases
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote