Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 24-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
Stellanne
Hatchling

Default Rubbing sores

A number of years ago I rehomed Bertha who is estimated to be around 90 years old.
I think I have spoken about her previously on this forum, following re homing I had a full health check done and everything for her is working ok.
I do not know much about her history, but she has shell damage which indicates some sort of attack in her past life. The vets assessment was that there was an injury to her right leg which hadn't been treated which has led to movement difficulty. She has a hole in her shell, which also indicates that in a past life she was tethered in her garden...... Overall she has had a very chequered past!!!
So now she is with me.....outdoors, heat, vitamins, baths, love and care. But this brings additional problems.
Over the last few years she is moving around much more. Her back legs lift her up but her front legs fail her. She has no claws on her front legs and therefore no grip.
I have made areas in Tort Lodge Garden Bertha friendly and she can move around ok, though very slowly. However, this is my problem. In making the area Bertha friendly, her movement is making a sore on her skin.
Because her right leg has restricted movement she is rubbing it against the skin near her right cheek. At the moment it am dabbing it daily with iodine but I do worry about her long term care.
I was told she had been hibernated every year and since she has been with me has hibernated 'au natural' and although not dug down into the soil, she has made an attempt and I have covered here and monitored her throughout the winters.
My concern at the moment is with the sores. Can anyone advise how to help her x x. Hugs x x

Last edited by Stellanne; 25-05-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

Sorry Stella I don't know what to advise, I hope someone comes along who can help.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

Hi Stella the probable reason for her front claws being warn down is constant scratching at night trying to dig down I have a female thb with no nails and have noticed she scratches a lot at night as for the sore I use F 10 cream for any cuts or sores, have a look on her she'll to see if there is a sharp bit that is doing it if so you could try to file it with a nail file or put a plaster on the bit of of ending shell
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Stellanne
Hatchling

Thanks for the replies, Gordon, the sores are made with the actual movement of her leg rubbing on her skin. Her leg position is so 'set' it seems to knock her neck at each movement. You are right about her trying to dig down, but then again if she is on new soil she can't grip anything so ends up digging holes. I have tried to make Tort Lodge Gardens as Bertha friendly as possible even to the point of removing large pebbles which she used to balance on when she couldn't get a proper grip to get over.
I was advised once to glue a 'furniture coaster' under her to give her lift...... Do you think that is something worth trying. And would something like gorilla glue be ok x x hugs x x
Old 27-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Not sure on the coaster if she can't grip you could try rapping her front feet in micro pore tape I did it with my three legged horsfield when I got her as she had no nails on the front two legs which helped her grip after a while her nails grew back perfect so your old girls might.
I would try that first as it could be her feet are sore that's why she is not up on them
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Stellanne
Hatchling

I will try the micro grip. I was also told her claws would never grow back, so you give me hope!!! X x x hugs x x xx
Old 30-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
Stellanne
Hatchling

I taped Bertha's knee where it had been rubbing her cheek and that seemed to have worked. The soreness looks to be healing. And just as good the tape has stayed on. Tomorrow I am going to have a go at taping her foot to see if that will help her nails to grow. I did a check the other day and can't see any soreness on the end of her foot. Anyway thanks for the great advice...... X x x x. Hugs x x x
Old 08-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

stellanne, sounds like you may have cracked it but if not savlon is brill for sores and bites. And horse bandage (I don't have a horse but was told about horse bandage which isn't sticky but it grips - mine is pink ! don't ask why because I don't know maybe horses like pink). Alsooooo I do physio on my elderly tortoise, (and one with an abscess) who drags his back leg and limps on his front (no claws and never grown back but never say never). I push his leg in (he then resists a bit ) and v v gently stretch out again but this motion needs to be v gentle - it is the pushing in he resists more and builds up his leg. - he is so much better for it but then again he may have been ok without it who knows. pulls his food better with front ones but still limps and still drags but quicker and not so laboured.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
burnt toast
Adult

Hi Stella before you go the whole hog & glue on a castor I would have a "trial run". I have a girl with severe MBD who doesn't use her back legs, only drags with her arms. You need to get the right size (there was a lot of trial & error with Blossom) You need to check they spin freely & I would guess with a castor you will need to decide on best direction for "travel". May I suggest you use "duck tape" to begin with? Its quite strong & will work temporarily while you "test drive" the castor

I love the sound of "tort lodge gardens" by the way & would love to see a picture of your old girl + her gardens please
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote