Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 23-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #11
chelonaki
Incubating

Ok then They could end up in rescue places of USA
Old 23-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
SumbodyZMom
Egg

I'm guessing I would scare you guys with what we saw at our local pet shop to find out more about our tort.

For one, those dratted pellets were in every vivarium.

And all the torts were "sleepy" looking, but it could've been the time of day too. (late afternoon)

The veggies they had for them were a popular salad bag mix (romaine with shredded carrots) that looked to be quite a few hours wilted and browned.

On the plus side, they did say customers were not allowed to handle the torts unless seriously buying them. So the poor things weren't going to be poked or dropped.

But I agree, not only are they selling these with incorrect info, they are giving customers wrong info on the basics of care!

Our tort, as far as our young friend could tell us, was sold out of a pet store under the name of a Greek tortie.

As for the canned green bean advice given to feed her, the canned beans are so full of sodium I have to imagine they are selling this advice to give "easy" sounding care--for $$$$.

Much easier to pick up a can of beans from the store, then to go out a find some weeds for your friend.

Sad, isn't it?
SumbodyZMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #13
chelonaki
Incubating

Report that shop SumbodyZMom!! I do not know that authorities to contact in USA, but you could find that out! They could even find the people who supply those torts to that shop (I bet they are not from a proper breeder).
Old 23-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

I must say, you have a beautiful Horsfield there
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
SumbodyZMom
Egg

Looking online right now about the shop.

Sadly, not finding much...no tortie police or anything like tortoise trust site...

Will contact the local Humane Society for a lead, they deal with dogs and cats, but occasionally get the exotic animals in. They should have some contact to talk to about the sale of these animals and their conditions they are living in.

Update: this AM dear Trixy has eaten about 10 plantain leaves and is enthusiastically walking about the yard again. The kids are worrying because it is a cloudy day today (she needs her sunshine) but I've assured them Trixy will get some UV through the clouds.

Another care question from Sumbody and his father: any links or sites you can direct me to about how to construct the tortoise table? What types of wood to use/not use?

We're thinking of putting the table on wheels (casters) as to roll it if we need to...sounds like it needs to be bigger rather than smaller.

Oh, and any ideas on how old she is? (see pic' above)

I'll keep you updated on what the Humane Society says about the pet shop....
Old 23-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
SumbodyZMom
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMarie
I must say, you have a beautiful Horsfield there

Why thank you very much KayMarie.

We're quite smitten with her already!

Old 23-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #17
chelonaki
Incubating

You could try these links:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Tortoisetable.htm
http://www.carlisletortoises.co.uk/Pen.html
http://www.turtlestuff.com/enclosures.html

Info on housing needs of horsfields:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/article...d_habitat.html

But do not forget to use the 'search' facility in SW to get more ideas and ways on building it up. Definately look here for ideas on how to make the enclosures habitable, pleasant, healthy and safe!
Old 23-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
SumbodyZMom
Egg

Panicking about the vivarium now, reading more about it.

Would a temporary plastic bin (Rubbermaid type?) work until the table is built?

She also needs something to burrow into...oh dear! She has a mat in her pen now--a reptile one--like a green carpet. Was told sand was a "no-no" as they digest this and then get constipated. I do have access (right now) to some alfalfa hay (for horses) but I can make a trip to the store if needed.

I really want to do this right guys, I am so glad you all are willing to fix us up.

Here's a pic of Trixy's underside...hoping she's really a "she"???

and a close up of her tail...

Old 23-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

Kelly I thought she was a girl too, Im getting better at this sexing lark but only on Horsfields at the mo!
aramintalovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #20
TortMad
Adult

Welcome to SW somebodyzmom, you've come to the right place for infomation on how to give your tort the care she deserves

I have 2 horsfields and they are lovely torts, be warned though, they are great diggers, climbers and are experts at getting out of most secure enclosures, you have to think like a tort to beat them to it

As for diet, horsfields require a high fibre diet, so plenty of plantains, grasses and hay ( not alfalfa though, its too high in protien), aswell as the clover and dandelions. I try to give mine a mixed diet and they have plenty of different edible weeds,grasses and flowers but no fruit. I also sprinkle a little vitamin suppliment (like nutrobol) on a couple of times a week and always have access to a calcium suppliment like limestone flour(calcium carbonate) and cuttlefish.

They can handle cooler temperatures but dont like it damp and need a dry area to dig down in to sleep. Also horsfields don't like humidity.

You have a lovely little tortoise there, and well done for questioning what the pet store said. Im sure you will give her a good loving home. Ask as many questions as you need to, there will always be some one who can help

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote