Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 30-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Dewdrop
Egg

Exclamation Immediate help please!

Hi

My tortoise hasn't been active for a few weeks, his eyes are mostly shut and it's like he can't see I'm not sure. He hasn't been eating. I don't know what to do, he used to be so active.

His not falling into hibernation, he comes from a hot climate where these species don't hibernate and his nose is sometimes bubbly so I know his sick.

Please can you tell me what I have to do? There are no vets around here so it would have to be something I do on my own. I want him to be active again like he used to be. I've had him for 7 years and his never been so seriously sick. How do I strengthen his immune system if he doesn't even eat?

Thank you so much for your help.
Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
AlborosieUK
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to AlborosieUK

Im not really expierenced with torts although im a new owner of one. But perhaps phoning a vet and travelling to get him/her seen.
I hope all goes well for you

Jah Bless
"Life and Jah are one in the same. Jah is the gift of existence. I am in some way eternal, I will never be duplicated. The singularity of every man and woman is Jah's gift. What we struggle to make of it is our sole gift to Jah. The process of what that struggle becomes, in time, the Truth." - Bob Marley
AlborosieUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Could you answera few questions for us to help us get a better idea of what is going on?

What species is torty

What is he kept in

What substrate

what lighting set up do you have

Temps hot end and cool end
Old 30-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop View Post
Hi

There are no vets around here
how far are you from a vet? you may need a vet for antibiotics
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Being in Germany, you shouldn't be that far from a vet. Even if it's not a tortoise vet, that vet should be able to call and consult a tortoise vet.

Danny
Old 30-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
NATURALIS
Adult

sounds to me like RNS, you need to get him to a vet asap like tomorrow, if he has been blowing bubbles from his nose he will need baytril , if you don't get the tortoise treated he could die, sorry to be blunt but you should have taken him when he started blowing bubbles.good luck.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
TortBabe
Adult

Hope he's better soon xx
Old 31-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

If as you say you are looking for "Immediate help please!" then a vet has to be your priority since it's gone on for weeks
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Gem
Incubating

if you cant find a vet find someone that keeps tortoise and see if they can help, rns is simple to treat if that is what the diagnosis is, keep him warm and plenty of bathes to keep him hydrated. and for everyone out there it is important to know which vet you would use in the event of an emergency rather then wait until you need one.
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Dewdrop
Egg

Um, thanks for your help.

By the way, I thought some of you might like to know that I don't live in Germany (where did you get that idea?) and there is only one vet here that has *some* knowledge on tortoises. For your information, that vet did not help me whatsoever last time I visited him so going to him would be 1. a waste of time and money and 2. three hours away from where I live. So no, going to a vet was the lowest priority I had. Since this forum is apparently a knowledgable one I thought I would be give "at-home" remedies to help treat my tortoise. Obviously, this wasn't the case...

Anyway, I kept my tortoise warm, hydrated and I force fed him pieces of bananas for energy and nutrition and his recovered very nicely. A few drops of lemon juice quickly fixed his shut eyes so I'm happy his back to his normal self. I guess it's only natural for me to panic when something I care about isn't acting normally.
Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote