Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

I will try and take some pictures of mine. Its not taking the pictures, its uploading on here that's the problem!

Mine are tips at the moment Gordon! Being used to store hides etc.

Only my Hermann's is in use at the moment. My Margie's is in full sun, so has no basking lamps in, very basic with soil floor. I have some up but they are confined to their shed as it would be very cold in greenhouse.

Horses have an "octagonal" greenhouse with twin wall glazing ( I find this a pain, as you can't see through it, so literally have to run up the garden if you want to check on them!) They have a pop hole through to their sleeping area, which is a 2 x 4 very thick box with a tubular heater in but no lamps, as not high enough (their lights are in the greenhouse)

The Hermann greenhouse is divided in two: (hercs/thb) with ramps leading through the rear to seperate sheds (half height). I have lamps in their sheds, but only use them in severe cold. They have tube heaters for overnight & their main basking areas are in the greenhouse under staging which runs the whole length of back wall. Lights hang from the staging (some wooden slats have been removed) I clad all around this staging area with sheets of insulation & wood & have laid sheets of poly carbonate on top of the staging. To let light through but hopefully trap some heat.

I bubble wrapped it this winter & have used lots of offcuts of polycarb anywhere I could to kind of double glaze it! I have a couple of heaters. Although I have been putting the lamp on daily in their shed, they mainly prefer to come out into their greenhouse! I think old hermanns are very hardy!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote