Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 16-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Taszia
Hatchling

Default Greenhouse housing owners help pls

I am very interested to see some pictures of greenhouse enclosures f you lovely lot wouldn't mind showing them to me . I would be very greatful. Feel free to write as much info on heating,fittings, advice etc ... How you heat ?if you have to keep cool in summer.?
if you keep them in it over winter and how you insulate. The more information and pics the better please it would be muchly appreciated

Many thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing your torti homes

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taszia View Post
I am very interested to see some pictures of greenhouse enclosures f you lovely lot wouldn't mind showing them to me . I would be very greatful. Feel free to write as much info on heating,fittings, advice etc ... How you heat ?if you have to keep cool in summer.?
if you keep them in it over winter and how you insulate. The more information and pics the better please it would be muchly appreciated

Many thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing your torti homes
Here is a picture of my GH inside.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Taszia
Hatchling

Thank you sandy this is great

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Old 16-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

I would post a picture of my greenhouse but it is like a builders yard at the moment due to a rebuild.
The first thing I would say is if you can put the greenhouse with the longest side facing the early sun so it warms up quick.
Inside I have three partitions that have a ramp to a hole for access to an outside pen.
Inside there is a wooden box in each pen and slabs in front of them then I have a mound of soil for the females to lay in which they all seem to do quite happily over the top of that I hang a lamp that has just a normal 100w spot light bulb on a time switch so it comes on early in the morning and goes off at 11am.
In the colder times it stays on all day.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I would post a picture of my greenhouse but it is like a builders yard at the moment due to a rebuild.
The first thing I would say is if you can put the greenhouse with the longest side facing the early sun so it warms up quick.
Inside I have three partitions that have a ramp to a hole for access to an outside pen.
Inside there is a wooden box in each pen and slabs in front of them then I have a mound of soil for the females to lay in which they all seem to do quite happily over the top of that I hang a lamp that has just a normal 100w spot light bulb on a time switch so it comes on early in the morning and goes off at 11am.
In the colder times it stays on all day.
Love to see it Gordon (even with building mess!) I'm useless at imagining things!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Love to see it Gordon (even with building mess!) I'm useless at imagining things!
You'll have to join the queue Lynn as I'm first in line!!!!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Taszia
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Here is a picture of my GH inside.

Can I ask where and what your hanging lamps are please ? I am lookingnfir some new metal hangers

Old 19-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taszia View Post
Can I ask where and what your hanging lamps are please ? I am lookingnfir some new metal hangers
I still use combined uv/heat lamps.
When I used to breed tortoises I would have new combined lamps for hatchlings, then when the UV was depleted, I put them outside in the GH as the heat side of the lamps is still good. I dont worry about UV for my adult tortoises outside, as they come and go as they please. Through a gap at the front of the GH. So they get natural UV better than any lamp or bulb:0)
My husband who is an electrical and electronics engineer did the electrics. He ran a plastic casing along the roof of the GH to allow the lamps to hang. And the plugs are just above the V of the front. Then this goes down to a waterproof box. And of course the cable is 18 inchs across our lawn to the house.
I hope you understand this, as I am no electrician:0)
Piglamps make good bulb holders and are reasonable in price.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
Taszia
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I still use combined uv/heat lamps.
When I used to breed tortoises I would have new combined lamps for hatchlings, then when the UV was depleted, I put them outside in the GH as the heat side of the lamps is still good. I dont worry about UV for my adult tortoises outside, as they come and go as they please. Through a gap at the front of the GH. So they get natural UV better than any lamp or bulb:0)
My husband who is an electrical and electronics engineer did the electrics. He ran a plastic casing along the roof of the GH to allow the lamps to hang. And the plugs are just above the V of the front. Then this goes down to a waterproof box. And of course the cable is 18 inchs across our lawn to the house.
I hope you understand this, as I am no electrician:0)
Piglamps make good bulb holders and are reasonable in price.
Brilliant thank you I was planning much the same as use them indoors. Can I ask where you get your metal lamp shades from .?

Old 25-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Tazia I see you are based in west Midlands. TFM have stores in Briidgenorth, near Shiffnal & I think Shrewsbury. They sell just a reflector on its own for £4odd. Huge silver ones, very good. You can replace any you already have or they sell ceramic holders too, cheap.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote