Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Custom my viv
Egg

Default Mazuri tortoise diet vs Mazuri Leafeater

I am still being asked all the time about the difference between 'Mazuri tortoise diet' and 'Mazuri leafeater'.

There is a massive difference between the two products!!

Mazuri tortoise diet is formulated specifically for them, with protein/fibre levels which reflects the research they have done on wild diets. This has previously been unavailable for import to the UK so is made in the EU and labelled as NutraZu, exactly the same product and recommended by Mazuri for UK keepers. However Mazuri is now available for purchase in the UK as well as NutraZu

Mazuri leafeater is a diet formulated by Mazuri for leaf eating primates and is as such higher in protein. Mazuri tortoise diet being only 15% protein and Mazuri leafeater being 23%. It is easily available, is much cheaper and has become very widely used in the UK. The feeding guidelines on the leafeater product are exactly the same as the Tortoise diet product, regardless of the fact the nutritional values are different. The ingredients for both Mazuri primate and Mazuri leafeater and the same with just some variations on the wording.

There is debate as to whether the protein level of 23% is indeed too high for tortoises, I personally trust the judgement of Mazuri and the many years of research they have done to provide the tortoise specific diet that they do. If I were in the states I would not buy my tortoise a diet labelled 'primate diet', the fact I'm in the UK and it is labelled for tortoises does not change that.

We are also mad crazy reptile keepers with over 80 reptiles in a collection that is always growing ...This includes everything from pancake tortoises to african rock pythons
Custom my viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
4chester
Incubating

If you want to come on to a forum and sell your products then fine, but until you can substantiate your claims with evidence then leave the hard sell alone and let individuals make their own choice.

It would have been nice if you had come on here and shared your experience of keeping torts instead of pushing products !!!

Not much to ask really
4chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Custom my viv
Egg

This post is not for hard selling of my product, it's information regarding 2 products that I keep being asked about so is obviously confusing for some people!

We are also mad crazy reptile keepers with over 80 reptiles in a collection that is always growing ...This includes everything from pancake tortoises to african rock pythons
Old 02-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
4chester
Incubating

If it's not about promoting products, then why are you advertising it on your other post as the original low protein version and you will undercut any other sellers . Surely this is advertising.

Before you ask I don't sell any or have any connections with any sellers .
4chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
Custom my viv
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4chester View Post
If it's not about promoting products, then why are you advertising it on your other post as the original low protein version and you will undercut any other sellers . Surely this is advertising.

Before you ask I don't sell any or have any connections with any sellers .
I am selling it on another post, but not on this one so I still don't understand your issue.

This particular post is NOT to advertise the fact that I sell it or to make an issue with anyone selling it higher or lower than myself! I also promote NutraZu which is a product I do not sell so if I am hard selling my product I am not doing it very well!! No sellers (myself included) have been mentioned in this post!

It is purely to point out the difference between two products that people seem to be very confused about. I myself have been confused about the two in the past, someone telling me the difference would have been very helpful to me.

I can't imagine people taking offense to having the difference between two products explained or am I missing something here?!

Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
becciwales
Adult

Just out of curiosity, what is unsubstantiated with the 1st post Mark?
You haven't asked Custom My Viv to prove anything, just gone in for the kill straight away. I'm simply asking what you don't trust befor I buy either of the Mazuri's for my torts. I have Nutrazu currently but they're not that fussed on it.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
Gordon
Adult

Can you provide a list as to what is in your so say real mazuri as i thought it had honey in it and that is why you cant import it into the UK
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Custom my viv
Egg

It is not 'so say' real mazuri, it is the original Mazuri made by the original company!

Full data sheet is here:

http://www.mazuri.com/product_pdfs/5M21.pdf

Old 02-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Custom my viv
Egg

This is the data sheet for the leafeater:

http://www.mazuri.com/product_pdfs/5M21.pdf

Old 02-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
becciwales
Adult

It's my understanding that you have to be registered to import it due to the molasses, it's not freely available to import for anyone to do it.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote